10:41

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Auto-coupler Refurb

Old 14th September 2008, 18:38
Registered Member

Auto-coupler Refurb

FROM THE PAGES OF THE RAILNEWS
Engineer’s auto-coupler refurb is ‘outstanding success’
TYNE and Wear Metro operator Nexus is saving £20,000 a year by refurbishing and manufacturing auto-coupler components from its metro cars, rather than having to purchase completely new units.

And it’s all down to maintenance engineer Steve Rowell from Metro fleet depot in South Gosforth, Newcastle. He devised a refurbishment pro-cess for the trains’ draft tube and shear ring, two key parts of their auto-couplers, which has won him the annual award for Best Use of Metro Assets.

Steve said: “I went through original specifications and revised the process whilst improving the design. All the design changes have been calculated and verified to ensure they match original specification, and a sample batch is sent away for independent force testing to ensure compliance.”

Metrocar auto-couplers provide mechanical and electrical connection between vehicles and are designed to allow train swing and rotational movements and withstand dynamic forces.

Metro director Mick Cabro said: “Steve’s reclamation pro-cess was a complex task because industry standards set stringent limits with which all components must comply, but he has achieved outstanding success.”

Photo Steve Rowell shows the refurbished coupler components.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Autocoupler.jpg (113.2 KB, 12 views)

Old 14th September 2008, 18:48

I suppose it was all in a days work for Steve but are there any firms that still have employee suggestion schemes?
They were quite popular at one time and could be a nice little earner.
Old 14th September 2008, 20:14

I got a digital camera from where I was working back in 2002. It took some months to actually get the thing out of them as by that time I had been made redundant/retired. We still use the camera although SWMBO did not get a very good photo of Repton today while I was picking elderberries beside the NVR.
John (G)