20:34

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Light Rail and Metros

Merseyrail

Old 26th July 2006, 19:11

Merseyrail

I'm not quite sure whether Merseyrail is classed as a light rail system but if it's not I'm sure the world as a whole will forgive me for my oversight. Anyway, I've got a firend who lives in Seaforth in Liverpool, and her closest Merseyrail station is Seaforth and Litherland. I know that this was also the name of the Northern terminus of the Liverpool Overhead Railway. Does anyone know whether it is the same ststaion, a new station on the old site or a new station on a different site with the same name? I ask because my friend says it's on a bridge, but the photo I've got of the LOR station seems to show it at ground level. Anyone clear this up for me?

Old 28th July 2006, 21:54

Pavorossi,
If you look at http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...ay/index.shtml it says that the Liverpool Overhead Railway station serving Seaforth was actually called "Seaforth Sands" and closed when the system was abandoned in 1956. Although this station was the northern limit of normal LOR services the line did continue further to join the British Railways (formerly Lancashire & Yorkshire Rly) network south of Seaforth and Litherland station.
Hope this helps.
John.
Old 29th July 2006, 22:33

Is the LOR the one which was known as the 'Dockers Umbrella'?

There is an intermittent series currently being printed in 'Model Rail' magazine about a minimum space layout featuring that very system.
Old 30th July 2006, 09:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev
Is the LOR the one which was known as the 'Dockers Umbrella'?.
Yes Trev, that's the one.
The Scousers have a nickname for everything
Old 30th November 2008, 22:10

The present Seaforth and Litherland station sits on the old site. I was born and bred off Bridge Road, Litherland so remember it well. When the LOR terminated there it was three platforms, now it is just an island platform slightly skewed from where the original island was. The station is atop of an embankment where the up and down bridges remain and then the embankment gradually drops down to become a cutting when approaching Waterloo.
Old 30th November 2008, 23:40
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum johnmoly and thanks for the info on the LOR.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 1st December 2008, 10:54

Welcome to the forum johnmoly.
Paul.
Old 16th March 2013, 07:04

I have always been fascinated by the Merseyrail system. I remember an issue of Rail Enthusiast from the early 1980s which featured an article on the Q trains which were usually DMUs which had a police team who would patrol the system and catch trespassers and vandals which was a major problem on much of the network at the time.
Old 16th March 2013, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86217Comet View Post
I have always been fascinated by the Merseyrail system. I remember an issue of Rail Enthusiast from the early 1980s which featured an article on the Q trains which were usually DMUs which had a police team who would patrol the system and catch trespassers and vandals which was a major problem on much of the network at the time.
I've used the Merseyrail network most days since 2006, and while we might get an occasion of trespass which halts that particular line it doesn't happen often and I've never had problems with vandalism. Signalling problems happen now and again but thats usually sorted within the hour.
They run nearly 800 trains per weekday and nearly always on time, if a train is going to be, say, two minutes late the information panel indicates such.