10:05

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Unbreakable windows

Old 3rd August 2007, 19:44

Unbreakable windows

I was reading in the papers yesterday (so it must be true) that there is a new ruling that train operators will have to remove the existing windows in carriages and fit laminated glass to prevent passengers being thrown out in an accident. This glass will be unbreakable and the little hammers now supplied will be removed as useless.

In an accident you will have to evacuate through the end doors, assuming that they are still openable, and have not been crushed and there is no fire etc. (I thought ends of coaches were meant to have intentional "crumple zones" anyway??)

Of course the coaches will notto have to have new emergency exits fitted, like on aeroplanes.

Statistically it might be claimed to be safer (allegedly) but it "feels wrong" and makes me feel a bit uncomfortable and claustrophobic, in a way that I dont feel on an aeroplane.

Old 3rd August 2007, 21:09
Registered Member

Hi Shed Cat I agree with you about it being claustrophobic and emergency exits should be fitted as standard. Fitting these windows is like taking one step forward and two back.
Alan Locojoe
Old 3rd August 2007, 22:47

The full report by the Rail Safety and Standards Board can be view here
http://www.rssb.co.uk/pdf/reports/research/containment_review_final.pdf
Whether you agree with their recommendations or not, the 138 page report certainly makes for interesting reading. (if you like that sort of thing)
Old 4th August 2007, 12:08

It does look intersting. I accept that there is a problem of being thrown out, but I remain unconvinced that laminated windows is the solution to the problem.

I do like the idea that these windows will be stronger against yobbos throwing bricks at the trains, so maybe I will feel a little bit safer.
Old 5th October 2007, 17:50

There are other benefits. Even though this is supposedly a safety measure, it will certainly reduce the amount of delays & cancellations caused by vandalism. (Which is especially bad during the school holidays !!)