20:36

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Track Location of Train in Real time

Old 4th June 2014, 11:00

Track Location of Train in Real time

Indian railways has launched a new mobile application which can be used to track the location of a running train. You can download this app from android play store in iphone app store.

Old 7th June 2014, 21:56

According to the latest issue of Railway Magazine, there is also now one here, but I am yet to read all of it. The link is: realtimetrains.co.uk

Hope this of help.
Old 10th June 2014, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramleyman View Post
According to the latest issue of Railway Magazine, there is also now one here, but I am yet to read all of it. The link is: realtimetrains.co.uk

Hope this of help.
I've been looking at that site. It seems to do pretty much what Live Departure Boards does, with a few extra gimmicks.

Personally speaking I find the name "Real Time Trains" is a little deceptive. To me that suggests that you can see exactly where the train is. Given that the railway's own system, P2, only displays trains' locations to within about a mile (dependent on track circuit & signal spacing), you're not going to get particularly accurate info. And and far as I know P2 is not made available to 'outside parties'. So the best information that these websites can tell us is that a train is between two stations - hardly 'Real Time Information'.

We've kind of missed a trick here as the most modern stock (e.g. Bombardier Electrostar) does use GPS to control onboard displays & auto-announcers, but we don't yet have a system like aircraft do - namely Flight Trackers (e.g. Flightradar24) where the their own GPS info is sent outwards as telemetry for any member of the public to see.

One day, maybe. GSM-R is certainly capable of handling it.

HTH
Old 19th August 2014, 22:33

You can track the live location of train on IRCTC Website here : http://enquiry.indianrail.gov.in/
Old 20th August 2014, 12:06

This is something we USED to have IN THE UK via a Network Railway app a couple of year ago when you clicked on the time table it had an extra link to show you where the train was

this has gone now the nearest is Real Time Trains but you have to follow this routine
Go Advanced on the Search for your location
then click on the actual train
when you watch the train you can see it go past a point by a time coming up at the reporting point
the only problem is you have to refresh the page manually (on Android anyway)

Don't know about the Indian Railway APP hope it is easier to use like the old NwR one used to be

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643