23:09

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

tripple FL 66's at Westbury

Old 1st June 2009, 22:31

tripple FL 66's at Westbury

heya.

Dunno if anyone can help on this, three Freds spotted in westbury (wilts) today (mon 1st june 2009) operating two trains. The first heading to Taunton area hauling green freightliner box waggons, (possably ballest?) leaving westbury at 9.40pm I think the number may have ended in 66??4. Can anyone let me know the number of this train and the working.

Also, at same time, top and tail 66's the last being 66 615 on a yellow track machines working, something to do with track ballest it appears, seen several photos of this train in railway herald website and I know it often works between westbury and taunton yards. However, this working bypassed westbury and headed towards Reading via the B&H. I was unable to identify the leading "fred" but the rear fred was 66615. Can anyone help with this working and what the leading fred was.

Missed it as i had to chase the 66 on the green waggons to the junction in turn missing the leading 66, which looked as tho that train was stoping further up the line so chased that missing the other 66 and the train actually didnt stop! So only could get 66 615,

Any info on both workings would be appreciated. thanks

Old 3rd June 2009, 03:02

think i figured out what the 66 was now as i saw the same train again at around same time, it was 66 602 leading and 66 615 bringing up the rear.... is this train a timetabled working (eg not a one of move for engineering work, but runs like any other freight train?)

Also saw 66 612 on a long rake of PCAs leaving Westbury Cement Wrks around the same time.... Surely this is not empty fly ash tankers as the factory closed on the 1st of may this year.... any idea what this operation was as i know the tankers wern't in the factorys yard last week.... This train was heading towards Trowbridge, possibly towards ethier Bristol or Swindon after that.

Does freightliner now operate most the freight in my area, I've only ever seen EWS (DB as its now known) operate engineer trains and the MRL trains of late?...