19:26

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Peak Rails Link to Network Rail at Matlock

Old 10th May 2011, 19:23

Just a thought........ Has the connection been completed? Signed off as fit to use? If not...................? Like I said, Just a thought.

Regards, 62440.

Old 11th May 2011, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62440 View Post
Just a thought........ Has the connection been completed? Signed off as fit to use? If not...................? Like I said, Just a thought.

Regards, 62440.
Dont understand. They wouldnt be contemplating a rail tour if the connection were not passed for passenger service surely?
Old 11th May 2011, 14:10

Just because the promoter wants to run the tour, doesn't mean that the jobs going to be complete and signed off. Don't forget this tour was originally scheduled for March 5th when there was no sign of a connection.

Where's all the hullaballoo like the North Norfolk had for the Sheringham crossing with the test train? I haven't seen any, have you? Has there been a test train at all?

If I remember correctly the plan is for Peak Rail to reopen to Matlock Station in around Seven weeks time, I believe they are more concerned with this than bothering about the odd railtour being inconvenienced.

Regards, 62440.

Last edited by 62440; 11th May 2011 at 16:53. Reason: Adding the last bit.
Old 11th May 2011, 17:17

The national rail connection doesn't look all that sure . . . . .

Derbyshire Times:The Matlock-Derby line is one of 56 loss-making routes across the country where the Government's Strategic Rail Authority is demanding a doubling of income and halving the cost to passengers for each journey within five years.

Speaking personally, even when I have to pay full fare next August, I dont find the fares on that line excessive. I'm pretty sure it's comparable with bus.

Last edited by wyvern; 11th May 2011 at 17:21.
Old 13th May 2011, 07:01

three things to say to that;

1.theyve been threatening the connection of the line same as the buxton one right through from the sixties to the 2000s, lines still there,more so the fact the matlock line feeds more of a populace than the buxton one does so stands more of a chance than ever to survive

2.the government will always put the death knell worries in place,its how buisness` push things forward,if you dont then productivity stagnates or sits at a level,if you threaten things the local groups,councils etcetera start to push for greater use,services etc.

3.if it ever shut that would also affect the services further down the line,imagine the local service going,what would happen the locals that stop at duffield too,any local service would require a turnback and if the branch went to improve speeds on the mainline such as what happened at Duffield then NR would not neccesarily want to spend money on putting another turnback in that doesnt benefit them further up the line.

will it close,unlike the 60s i dont think think so,its one of the few lines that have made great leaps in service patterns in coming years and with the credit crunch/fuel prices getting worse it could still be used more,remember the governments latest report recommends large closures again, going back in time the Serpell report wanted three main lines and little else.

best thing to do is to make as much use of the line as possible by local groups, EVR&PR,local attractions..etc
Old 13th May 2011, 13:59
Station Manager

The Matlock Branch is already very heavily used and the opening of the EVR to Duffield has contributed quite significantly to passenger numbers at Weekends. I am amazed how many of the visitors to the EVR arive by train. On some EMT Trains it has been standing room only to Duffiled.

The reason many people use the line is probably because the A6 is woefully inadequate but is unlikely to be deveoped as it goes through a World Heritage Site.

I expect to go on travelling on the Matlock for years to come. However, judging from the crack pot ideas that have come out of N0. 10 over the last 12 months, I supose anything is possible!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 13th May 2011, 20:53

Wink

No worries guys, Passenger numbers generally on upward trajectory. TOCs need to keep up with intro of wi-fi, real time online info etc..

Perhaps EVR/PR joint venture for the Derwent Valley franchise next time round?
Old 14th May 2011, 06:31

Peak Rail taking over the line was mooted the last time it was threatened.

Its unlikely people would want to change at Ambergate - and to what ? - so running rights would be needed into Derby.

I have to say they've been trying to shut it down as long as I can remember. The trouble is people keep using it.

An important factor is that the County Council sees it as important in relieving road congestion up the valley.
Old 14th May 2011, 13:05

i do agree, whilst a nice idea,why would we want to take over the branch to ambergate?,with the problems it could entail,we have a nice length of line now,not too long,just right length to not get the kids bored too, plus youd have to expend some money on facilities at the ambegate end for running around thatd always be temporary with the signalling works required etc.

as we all feel -there will hopefully be many years of national operations on the branch to come and thats the best option to be honest, we work best where we interface (PR&EVR) into the NR system and the valley and its attractions have for many years not been pushed to the full potential, good to hear to the numbers on the EVR for normal travellers are up too, weve also noted a rise in numbers and as you say i hope its due to the poor service the a6 provides and not just something due to the credit crunch,else the figures could drop when that mess eventually gets sorted out,last bank holiday,my colleague Pete noted traffic down to about 20 mph all the way from Rowsley to Matlock,we never saw a break in traffic on the a6 alongside all day!

we note quite a few passengers getting on at Riverside one way too,they usually walk the dales on the way back alongside the railway,this used to be more the domain of your side of the valley over wirksworth way where there are more walkers and less tourists who dont want to stray too far from their cars,such as is the usual traffic of tourists through matlock and rowsley towards chatsworth.

does anyone know what passenger trends at say Crich and MRC are like,is there a surge there too???

does anyone know whats happening with the portion of land at Duffield on the EVR the other side of the runround loop fence opposite the platform, are you making it a carpark of your own,i note the station carparks are to be pay and display soon!,would be a good idea.

Last edited by kestreleyes; 14th May 2011 at 13:09.
Old 14th May 2011, 21:39

According to the Office of rail regulation the number of passengers to Matlock went up massively in the last year measured;

2008-9 110,548
2009-10 155,536

If that increase continues with Peak rail opening the link, then there may even be justification for more trains not less.

Last edited by Pesmo; 15th May 2011 at 17:49.