18:51

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Teens killed on Railway bridge

Old 21st February 2010, 12:42

Unhappy Teens killed on Railway bridge

Don't know if you good folks over there have this problem. Seems that here in the US many people can't get it through their head that the railroad is private property and insist on using the tracks as a walkway. Alas, this seems to happen all too often. I've never worked for the railroad but know many who have. My thoughts and prayers go out not only to the families of those killed but to the crew on the train who I know will suffer for the rest of their lives with the memories of this accident. It's made worse by many in the public who blame the railroad and the train crew for the tragedy

Not a good way to start my Sunday morning reading about young lives cut short.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100221/...ts_pedestrians

Theodore Roosevelt ...

Last edited by Bridgewater; 21st February 2010 at 16:14.
Old 21st February 2010, 12:58

Yes, Bridgewater,

Unfortunatley it is a problem we have over here too, As you say people don't realise the railway is private property but also it is adangerous place to play,walk etc.

As a train driver I have so often come close to but so far not hitting anyone on the line.

Those teens should not have been there but my thoughts go out to their friends and family and also to the train crew.

Les
Old 21st February 2010, 13:27

I finshed in 2004 and never had one thank god.
If you want to end your life all well and good but don't involve others.
I have seen blokes go to pieces over a suicide.

ccmmick.

Old 21st February 2010, 16:01

I was only involved personally in the one fatality, but a driver I had Tremendous pleasure in working with, had two in a rather short time. That poor man eventually had a Fatal heart attack.

I now volunteer on a heritage line and more often than not see people blatantly walking the track with NO authority.
Old 21st February 2010, 17:56

At least in the UK we do make something of an attempt to fence off the railway. In many countries (even developed ones, they simply don't do it.
Old 21st February 2010, 18:04

Terrible news. But how do you keep stubborn people off the tracks? There seems to be far too many accidents like this.
Old 21st February 2010, 22:28

Very sad news indeed, i was involved in a near miss a few years back an although i work on the tracks an was doing my job, with all the training i have it still happened i'm just gratefull to still be here as i was responsible for putting myself in that situation, my thoughts go out to the family as its a terrible thing to have to deal with.