18:17

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

WOW!.....Take a look at this!

Old 22nd August 2011, 02:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
The bodies of the Westbahn double-decker EMU's are a maximum of 4.595 metres above rail level. This compares to 4.050 metres for a modern standard European coach such as those used by OBB, SBB, DB etc.
Even though the Mainland European loading-gauge is more generous than ours it is still only the centre part of the coach that is double-deck because of the space required for the bogies. That is why the pantographs and some other electrical equipment can be lower than the main (centre) section of the coach as at that point there is only a single-deck.
HTH
Ah! Thanks for that Swisstrains, it explains a lot and put me "on track" if you'll foregive the pun to find some info, not on the HKX but the Dutch Double Decker.
There are some great photo's of the interior of the Dutch DD/IRM on of all places: Wikipedia! Just search for; "NS VIRM". Scroll down and the pics are at the bottom of the page.
The main difference that I can see over the 6010 HKX to the Dutch DD IRM is that the doors on the IRM are located over the bogies, therefore the stairs will have to go down as well as up...to the seating area's. This shown in the pics.
The width is given as 3.02Mtrs and the Height as 4.67mtrs....surely this would be within our gauge wouldn't it? I'd love to see these trains over here!... Res.

Old 22nd August 2011, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
The width is given as 3.02Mtrs and the Height as 4.67mtrs....surely this would be within our gauge wouldn't it? I'd love to see these trains over here!... Res.
The Dutch trains are far too big for any of the GB loading-gauges. Even the "enhanced" gauges used on trunk container routes only allow for a maximum height of about 4.13 metres and a maximum width of about 2.7 metres. I think that the Dutch trains would even be too big for HS1.
Even if we were willing to alter the infrastructure to accomodate the higher coaches another thing to consider is the very low centre section of double-decker coaches. This could be a problem in stations built on sharp curves and would probably mean that any British double-decker coach design was much shorter than those in mainland Europe.
Old 22nd August 2011, 19:23

SR Double Deckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
I think the last unit was not withdrawn until about 1964 and two of the coaches survived into preservation: both DMBT's. Last locations I have are Hope Farm Sellindge and Northampton Ironstone Railway (Preserved Locomotives of BR, 12th Edition, 2007).

Best wishes,

John H-T.
I remember seeing them when I was in lancing Works about 1958. They were of a stange design as the access to the upper seating area was though some steps between the lower seats it must have taken ages to gey out of the top deck. I agree with the comment about the dwell times.