19:21

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Ban on train drivers using mobile phones

Old 18th September 2008, 09:59
Registered Member

Hi Trev I don't know about the American technology used these days on single line working but in B R days a token or tablet was used, this ensured only one train could use a certain section of single line track.

Old 18th September 2008, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
................. Both trains were on the same track, but going in opposite directions. Surely that cannot be the fault of the driver?
For the reasons that Les and Gandalf have pointed out it could well have been driver error.
I don't know a great deal about U.S.railroads but I believe that many of them are not equipped with the same safety systems that we have in Europe. Although a small number of passenger trains do use them, most lines in the U.S.are financed by freight carrying railroads and I have even read that many of them consider it more cost effective to accept the occasional accident than to invest in expensive safety systems That might be true for infrastructure and rolling-stock but I don't think the relatives of people killed and injured would agree.
Old 18th September 2008, 13:25

Safety must be almost non-existent in the US if this can happen!

I still don't get it though. If the driver passed a red signal and thereby gained access to the main line, surely the points would have been set against him? Wouldn't he have de-railed? And if he was already on the main line, and had stopped at a red signal, then he would still have been in the path of the freight train.

Memo to self; "If ever in the US, do not travel by train".
Old 18th September 2008, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyhandedfool View Post
I thought, even in an emergency, you still had to leave the cab to use a mobile, by the rules atleast.
The Drivers Rulebook passes the decisions to the individual TOC/FOC on how mobiles are used. Section G1/4.2 states "When on duty you must use a mobile telephone, your own or one issued to you, only as shown in your employers instructions".

The rules do state that in an emergency you must contact the signaller immediately by any means available. It doesn't matter where you're standing (so long as you're in a position of safety).

My employers require the mobile to be used in the same manner as the cab radio, ie; the driver must never allow him/herself to become distracted from driving by any communications equipment. At my TOC I'm required to have my personal mobile switched off whilst in the cab, and my company mobile must be in silent mode and in my bag - until things go wrong, at which point I can use them if I need to.

Last edited by Flying Pig; 18th September 2008 at 20:53.
Old 18th September 2008, 18:49

Quote:
.................I still don't get it though. If the driver passed a red signal and thereby gained access to the main line, surely the points would have been set against him? Wouldn't he have de-railed? ..............................
Trev, even when set against them, trains can force their way through trailing points without derailing although the points themselves will probably be damaged.
I don't know what happens in the U.S. but some railways actually use spring-loaded points at the entrance and exit of loops like those mentioned by Gandalf on the RH&DR. They are also quite common on Swiss metre-gauge lines.
One way to guard against this happening is to use trap points as was discussed in a previous thread.

Last edited by swisstrains; 18th September 2008 at 18:51.
Old 18th September 2008, 19:48

Quote:
Memo to self; "If ever in the US, do not travel by train".
I think you'll find that trains can still collide in the UK. Thousands of mainline signals are NOT fitted with TPWS, and not all conflicting moves are protected by trap points.

Humans make mistakes, SPADS still happen and there will still be fatal accidents on our Railway, I'm sorry to say.
Old 19th September 2008, 01:31

Okay lads, fair enough I suppose. I've still got an awful feeling that the authorities are going along with the, 'blame the driver, it's easier' theory though.
Old 19th September 2008, 08:01

Reports in the U.S. Press are saying that no type of train protection system was installed in the area of the crash. Apparently it was standard practice for the driver and conductor of the passenger train to confirm the indications of the colourlight signals by radio to the control-room but this wasn't done for the last two signals before the crash ie. yellow and red.