20:08

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

West coast line derailment.

Old 3rd February 2012, 09:32

West coast line derailment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16867053

Old 3rd February 2012, 16:50

Guaranteed that tonight on Anglia News, this will get a Good coverage, as they do from that area 7 days a week.

Hope the driver involved is Not too badly hurt.
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:56

Quite a few photo's on Facebook from Bletchley from a good railway photographer the loco is still upright a least but there's wagons off as well as some severe damage to track

It's going to be quite a while before trains run properly through there

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643

Last edited by Madcaravanner; 3rd February 2012 at 18:57. Reason: no not me photo ing either worse luck
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:51

More news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16878118
Old 4th February 2012, 00:41

Bletchley derailment

just wondering why 1 loco(no wagons according to NR) derailing shuts down a 4-track railway for 24 hours? Fast and slow lines paired,and quite well seperated here-would have thought they could have cleared the slow lines in a bit less than 24 hours.Let me guess-the complexity of the modern railway I suppose. Perhaps someone could explain the problems?
Old 4th February 2012, 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by brylliant60 View Post
just wondering why 1 loco(no wagons according to NR) derailing shuts down a 4-track railway for 24 hours? Fast and slow lines paired,and quite well seperated here-would have thought they could have cleared the slow lines in a bit less than 24 hours.Let me guess-the complexity of the modern railway I suppose. Perhaps someone could explain the problems?
IF you can find
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater then in the foreground you can see seriously distorted tracks and the loco appears to be on a crossing take a peek but also I am also confused as she was Light Engine but there are photo's of the train of cement wagons also derailed

Old 7th February 2012, 14:02

"The Freightliner locomotive appeared to have approached a set of points at high speed, a Network Rail spokesman said.
He said that this caused the tracks to buckle, damaged wooden sleepers and brought down some overhead cables.
"You are meant to approach points at a relatively low speed," the spokesman said. "But it looks like that move was taken at a high speed and, as a result, the train has derailed."

Not quite sure how to read this statement from a Network Rail Spokesman on the BBC? Would there have been warning signs, speed limitations or signalling if this were the case? If so does this imply the driver was at fault? Can anyone shed some light on this please.
Many thanks
Regards
Phil
Old 7th February 2012, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaravanner View Post
IF you can find
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater then in the foreground you can see seriously distorted tracks and the loco appears to be on a crossing take a peek but also I am also confused as she was Light Engine but there are photo's of the train of cement wagons also derailed
I read the loco was on hire to Virgin, so unlikely to be hauling freight ?
Old 7th February 2012, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
I read the loco was on hire to Virgin, so unlikely to be hauling freight ?
The loco was going to haul the Pretendalino ECS but obviously now isn't
there are reports of it a Wembley a few hours later it was re-railed without a crane and moved pretty quickly out of the way and apparently the trackwork has already been repaired

Old 11th February 2012, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Fox Phil View Post
Not quite sure how to read this statement from a Network Rail Spokesman on the BBC? Would there have been warning signs, speed limitations or signalling if this were the case? If so does this imply the driver was at fault? Can anyone shed some light on this please.
Many thanks
Regards
Phil
Yes there would have been Permanent Speed Restriction boards, and possibly there may have been Approach Released signalling. The Rail Accident Investigation Branch has already issued an initial statement. They say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by "RAIB
The RAIB’s preliminary examination found that the derailment occurred because the locomotive was driven significantly faster than the permitted speed over the junction. This resulted in its wheel flanges climbing over the outer rail of a curve just before it would have reached the up fast line.

No evidence has been found that the condition of the track played a part in causing the derailment.
So it looks like the driver dropped a large bollard, unfortunately. He may have become temporarily disorientated or distracted. We've all been there and got the tee shirt, and most of us have got away with it. For this driver the runes were cast against him.

I've only driven a 90 once, but I'm told they accelerate like a rocket when they're running light-engine. This driver may have got the speed down on the approach, and then opened up to 50 mph again before realising where he was going.

We'll find out in time.

Last edited by Flying Pig; 11th February 2012 at 17:12.