15:52

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Passengers break out of stuck train in Cambridgeshire

Old 1st November 2010, 00:43

These services do Not have Guards on them anymore. In fact they haven't done for years, due to being DOO and far longer than I can remember, having once worked on them as an RPI, until 'Persuaded' to retire from the job.

Old 1st November 2010, 11:06
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Christie View Post
In which case you can understand why they wanted out, especially since the modern trains have no opening windows, ergo it gets rather stuffy inside very quickly. Plus the toilets are all 'Leckie', so no power=no working toilets.
Why do we, in the UK in this day and age think this is a suitable way to treat passengers?
Where was the guard in all this? Surely he has a responsibility to his passengers?

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 1st November 2010, 11:08
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramleyman View Post
These services do Not have Guards on them anymore. In fact they haven't done for years, due to being DOO and far longer than I can remember, having once worked on them as an RPI, until 'Persuaded' to retire from the job.
Does this mean that there is no railway official on the train apart from the Driver?

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 1st November 2010, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
Does this mean that there is no railway official on the train apart from the Driver?

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Sounds very much like that is so !

Me thinks I would have been one of the "escapees" if I had the misfortune to be there.
Old 1st November 2010, 20:59

If the passengers felt that they were in danger at any time they should have notified train crew. I do doubt that if in immediate danger or in a state of exreme emergency then passengers do not have to wait for permission; ie a serious accident.
Still I have been on many delayed trains I have never felt the urge to jump off it. Granted I have offered to drive the thing myself if a certain amount of time has passed.

Intoxication could be at fault here.
Old 2nd November 2010, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post

Best wishes,

John H-T.
That is 100% correct John H-T. I was one against DOO, but then I was just a minority at the time. I honestly Loved being the Guard on trains. On the odd occasion, you Might get a Revenue Protection Officer/Ticket Inspector on board, but this is extremely rare these days.

Living close to the line from Kings Lynn and hearing quite a bit about this event on local radio, it has been said that it was an 8-car Class 365 EMU and failed some 500 yards from the nearest station being Foxton, one station from Cambridge. This train apparently stood there for over 3 hours, before another was sent out to rescue the stranded passengers. What the reason for failure was, I know not, but have heard it was to do with the OHL, which is the main reason the passengers should NEVER have got off, knowing the high voltage along the line.

Hope this is of help.
Old 2nd November 2010, 08:27
Station Manager

Thanks for that Bramleyman. I am appalled that there is no one on these trains to look after passengers. As this incident shows it is a cut too far!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 2nd November 2010, 21:20

I would hope that if the OHL came down that it would trip out on something before there was any chance of passengers getting near a loose live wire??
Old 3rd November 2010, 00:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by klordger1900 View Post
I would hope that if the OHL came down that it would trip out on something before there was any chance of passengers getting near a loose live wire??
I may be wrong, but after experiencing the OHL coming down in Kings Lynn Station whilst actually cleaning a train years ago, I believe the OHL Does trip out, but all the same, I did inform Romford by phone within minutes, and then made arrangements for Buses to be laid on until it could be repaired.