21:21

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Spa Valley bridge strike

Old 29th April 2015, 20:35

Exclamation Spa Valley bridge strike

A Morrisons HGV has been damaged after colliding with the low bridge which carries the Spa Valley Railway over the A26 on the outskirts of Tunbridge Wells.

http://www.courier.co.uk/Morrisons-l...ail/story.html

Nothing in the report about any damage to the bridge, although it has probably not yet been fully inspected.

Tony

Old 30th April 2015, 14:50

Oh dear. Having lived in Tonbridge I've always thought that low bridge was an accident waiting to happen.

It sounds like quite a severe impact. Many bridge strikes tend to wedge the vehicle under the bridge rather than rip the top off. Good job nobody was hurt.

On the mainline NR usually gets a structural engineer out ASAP, since trains have to be cautioned over the bridge until the damage has been assessed and this really ruins the service.

However if the Spa Valley Railway owns this infrastructure it's possible that they may have to pay for a structural assessment themselves and then sue Morrisons to get their money back. Worse still if the bridge needs a repair.

I hope it doesn't spoil their operations.

BW
Old 30th April 2015, 17:47

Yes, I know that bridge well. It's right after a nasty bend, so the driver may have seen the 14ft 6in sign too late. But you'd think he'd know his route...
Could be a real pain for the Spa Valley as they enter their busy season.
Old 7th May 2015, 17:09

I know that bridge well too. It often gets struck by HGVs.
Old 7th May 2015, 19:21

My friend who works at the Spa Valley reports that no major damage was done and services were not suspended for very long.
Old 7th May 2015, 21:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilersuit View Post
My friend who works at the Spa Valley reports that no major damage was done and services were not suspended for very long.
That's good news - thanks Jon.

Tony
Old 14th May 2015, 13:27

Like many others, not surprised by 'bridge bash' as we called them. When I was at Crowborough the bridge was always getting hit & at one stage we were responsible for giving the bridge the all-clear. The agro really started when we had to get the name and details of the driver and vehicle, some of them got quite shirty, the fact they were the twits who hit the bridge in the first place slipping their memory! When the job for checking the bridge went to Three Bridges you can imagine the delay that would cause as no trains were permitted over the bridge until the 'Bridges' staff got there, then that meant organising replacement buses etc. On one occasion a wooden horse box was knocked off the back of a trailer & landed on the road with horses still inside! Happily horses ok. Steve.