18:34

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Salutations from an O.F. from Auld Reekie

Old 5th July 2007, 20:26

Salutations from an O.F. from Auld Reekie

Good afternoon (well, it was when I started this!)
I'm 43006, an Ivatt 4MT (and NOT an HST power car), with a 50% chance of being already preserved at Haverthwaite! As you will have noticed, I've a lousy sense of humour!

To translate this garbage, "O.F." are the initial letters of 2 words that rhyme with "cold start" and Auld Reekie is an old nick-name for Edinburgh, where I live, though I'm not a Jock.
I chose 43006, as it was one of the loco's that pulled my school train from Seascale (just south of Sellafield, on the West Cumbrian Coast Line) via Sellafield, and the long-closed station of Beckermet to Egremont. It was nearly always an Ivatt 4MT that pulled us in the morning, tender first. 43006 and 43106 were the most common, and 43106 has been preserved. I THINK it used to be at the Lakeside Railway in South Cumbria, but it's now at the Severn Valley Railway. The loco on the way back was nearly always a 'Black 5', the one on a Friday was always a stranger to the area. On the only time they put a diesel on (a Met-Vick Co-Bo, D5706?), it broke down at Sellafield. One day, they put a 'Brit' on it! - 'Morning Star' if my memory serves me right. I was in 7th Heaven! This magnificent beast that used to haul crack expresses in the 1950's was pulling MY school train in 1966! Just before all steam was withdrawn, they put on 3x2-car Derby Units (we called them 'Bug-Carts'), in the range 790XX (Motor Brake Second) and 796XX (Driving Trailer Composite). However, my interest in Railways waned a bit when steam went.
It was seriously re-kindled from 2001-2004 when I lived and worked in Stanmore, North London. As well as returning home to Edinburgh every 2 or 3 weeks up the ECML, I made full use of the London One Day Travel Card, travelling on nearly EVERY public railway line within the 'GLC' areas, including Amersham & Chesham. This included the W&C, the DLR and the Croydon Tramlink.

My principal interest are timetables, particularly GNER, Virgin (XC and WC), Hull Trains, GCR (whenever they decide to get going), MML and GWR. I am in the process of trying to re-write ALL their timetables into CLOCKFACE format, without venturing towards a 'taktfahrplan'. To do the job properly, I need accurate train timing information, and I can only get that from a document that the public can't get hold of, and that's a WORKING TIMETABLE. To that end I'll be starting another thread, as soon as I can find the right place to put it! If there's anything of that you don't understand, let me know.

Any questions???

Last edited by 43006; 9th July 2007 at 23:12. Reason: Error in what loco was preserved, and where!
Old 5th July 2007, 21:11

Welcome to the forum from one O.F. to another
I've got a bit of a fascination for timetables myself but nothing as serious as you.
Look forward to your posts.
Old 5th July 2007, 23:05

Thank God you're not an HST power car!

Nice intro post mate. I've always been interested in the nicknames that loco's etc get. For example, you called DMU's 'bug carts'. We used to call them 'bog carts' as in 'bog standard travel'. Would you have any idea where the 'bug' comes from?

Welcome to the forum 43006, looking forward to your posts!
Old 5th July 2007, 23:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
You called DMU's 'bug carts'. We used to call them 'bog carts' as in 'bog standard travel'. Would you have any idea where the 'bug' comes from?
Hi Trev
I'm sorry, I haven't a clue. It was something I picked up from the trainspotting fraternity at my school. I never questioned where the expression came from nor its origins.

The only other 'nick-names' I know for train types were.....
1) Met-Vick Co-Bo's (D5700-D5719. They were all allocated to the W. Cumbrian line between Carnforth and Carlisle). We called them "Cheese Boxes". Dunno why.
2) GNER A4 ('Mallard' et al) I believe acquired the nick-name "Streaks"
3) Stanier 8P (e.g. 46201) were called "Semi's".
4) Fowler 3F's (I think) were called "Jinty's"
5) Class 24 diesels WITHOUT headcode displays above the driver compartment windows were called "Skinheads"
I have never been a great user of "Class" numbers, so a Class 47 was always a Brush 4, a 37 I called an "Engy 3" (pronounced "Inggie 3") etc. I have heard the nickname "Super-D" but I haven't got a Scooby what that refers to.

Old 6th July 2007, 00:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43006 View Post
5) Class 24 diesels WITHOUT headcode displays above the driver compartment windows were called "Skinheads"
I reckon that the headcodeless 24's were called 'skinheads' because of the youth cult of the late 60's/early 70's. Incidentally, to us the skinheads were the headcodeless Class 31/0's, probably 'cos there were very few 24's to be seen in the Eastern Region. Slightly ot, but there is probably some very interesting information regarding the evolution of language somewhere here!!

Like you, we never called Class 47's by that name; they were always 'Brush 4's'. Similarly, Class 37's were 'Type 3's' (not even a reference to the English Electric' origins), and Class 20's were always known as 'Type 1's'.