08:06

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Central Trains in possession of different 158s

Old 7th September 2007, 09:47

Central Trains in possession of different 158s

At Manchester Piccadilly station the other day I saw a 3 car 158 in the dark red Northern Spirit / Transpennine Express livery being used on the Central Trains Liverpool to Nottingham service with a Central Trains logo on it.

When Northern Rail took over from Arriva Trains Northern and First North Western, First leased some 158s in Central Trains’ green as they were unable to continue using First North Western branded 158s on the Manchester Piccadilly to Hull Transpennine route. So it seems a bit strange for it to be the other way round now.

This just seems to add further confusion to where the remainder of the former Transpennine Express 158s are going. It had previously been suggested that they may go to First Great Western in exchange for the 180s, which would then be used on the Manchester Airport to Scotland route commencing from December (as it was considered that the 185s which First intend to use would hold up Pendolino trains north of Preston.)

Alternatively, it had been suggested that Northern would get some when they returned 24 of their 72 142s to leasing company Angel Trains.

I’m not sure if Central Trains may have got some extra carriages, as the train I saw going in the opposite direction was a 4 carriage 158 which consisted of Coaches A, C, A and C. I’m just glad I didn’t have a seat reservation on that train!

Old 9th November 2007, 14:40

Hi,

I beleve that all of the Central Trains 158's will transfer to Stagecoach East Midlands Trains from Sunday 11th Nov 2007 in place of the 170's.

All the ex TPE ones i would imagine will be the last to be refurbished as the Central Trains one are in a mess so we will probably see more of the ex TPE ones on th Liverpool Routes from this sunday.

Also they will then swop there Central Trains vynales with East Midlands Trains ones but yet i would imagine that these ex TPE 158's will be the first ones to be painted as they are in pretty good condition inside.
Old 14th November 2007, 10:43

I don't understand why 158s that were displaced from Transpennine Express should be used on the Liverpool to Norwich route, which is much longer than any of Transpennine Express' services. Someone once said that the Liverpool to Norwich service was the Central Trains service that is most likely to be delayed, which I think is justification for using 170s on that route.

Some of the 158s that Transpennine Express had were in need of replacement seat covers, but with some going to First Great Western which were upgraded and others going to Northern, it may be that the one's which Central Trains acquired are in good condition.
Old 14th November 2007, 11:36

Yes thgey are in Good Condition as i was on 158 773 on the Last Saturday of the Central Trains Operation on the 19.12 Service from Hunts Cross to Liverpool Lime Street and was quite impresed of how good the condion of them are since leaving TPE.

With regrads to the Late running of some Journeys on the Liverpool - Norwich Route i beleve that it is more to do with Northern Services in Manchester than the use of a Class 170.

The reson being that from what i can work out is that the Northern Local Stopping Services from Manchester Oxford Road Becomes Delayed as last night they said it was due to a Mecanical Problem which i assume was that the 142 unit needed water so therefore this is delayed between 10 and 20 Minutes.

Then they decide that this service must go out first becuase Northern whant the revenue so they decide to delay the Express Service to let the Stopping Service go first to pick up the world and his missues this way Northern makes there service look more profitable which really is false economy.

I allways wait for the 19.12 from Hunts Cross to Liverpool Lime Street even if its late and the 19.06 Northern Service comes in first as there is always room for my bike on a 158 and that i do like to travel on Something Different and Decent plus it genarly gets in Lime St Before the Stopper so well worth the extra wait.

As it certanly was last night as there was a Stagecoach South West Trains 158 Numbered 883 (2 CAR) on the 19.12 service last night and Very nice indeed it was Top Quality Refurbishment which seems like its a taste of things to come.

So it definitly Looks like Stagecoach will refrubish the ex Central Trains 158's first but yet they may be swopped for the ones already done for SWT and Just change the Lettering.
Old 16th November 2007, 10:07

Regarding 170s:
Transpennine Express said that using 100mph 185s and 170s would mean late running trains would be more likely to make up time over using 90mph 158s, so the same should apply on the Liverpool to Norwich route.

Regarding Northern's Manchester Oxford Rd to Liverpool service:
When I caught the 07:41 at Oxford Road one morning it was forced to wait until just after 07:45 as the 07:38 from Nottingham to Liverpool was delayed. The 07:41 is timetabled to arrive at Liverpool at 08:55. A Transpennine service is due to arrive at Liverpool at 08:58, so it's likely that a 5 minute delay to the Nottingham to Liverpool service caused two other trains to be late. During off-peak periods the timings aren't as close as the local trains are missing out more stations.
Old 16th November 2007, 11:02

Well the Liverpool-Norwich route is now soley Operated by 158's But yet as for Last night the two 158's on loan from SWT 158 893 & 158 890 (Four Car Working) which worked the 19.12 from Hunts Cross Last Night and they seemed alot More Powerfull than Other 158's i have Been on.

So wheater or not they have uped the top speed i don't know but it seems that Stagecoach are doing there best to improve Services within less than a week by already proving extra Carriges as with Central Trains you were lucky to get four car working.
Old 16th November 2007, 11:38

But still this is a very long route for 158s t be working, especially CT ones in their condition. It used to be you would want a 170 and were unlucky if you got a two car 158. I would like to see them all done up like the exTPX 158s, these are look really good i side and are comfortable.

Does this now mean 170s only on the Stansted-Brum route?
Old 16th November 2007, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hicks View Post
Does this now mean 170s only on the Stansted-Brum route?
In short Yes
Old 17th November 2007, 12:21

Even Better are the ones from SWT !
Old 17th November 2007, 15:11

All that choice, exCentral, exMML and STW