22:04

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Hornby loco iron duke 70047 00 gauge limited edition

Old 2nd June 2011, 17:06

Hornby loco iron duke 70047 00 gauge limited edition

Hello my first post here

Can anyone help me been looking for prices on some of my model trains as want to get rid of them and one of them is the 70047 iron duke which i cannot find much about apart from this..
http://www.swapz.co.uk/swapz/554041/...on_very_rare_/

Is this person having a laugh here or is this really that rare and worth something? any help on the matter would be very much appreciated.

Old 2nd June 2011, 17:15

Are you sure that isn't actually £50 ?
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:20

what i was thinking that he had made an error
Old 2nd June 2011, 19:53
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum keir1.

I am assumimgfrom the photo that the loco in question is R056 manufactured 1975/76. It has a ringfield motor in the tender, driving the tender wheels. It was produced without smoke deflectors.

If in very good condition it is probably worth £50.

The information I have is from Ramsey's British Model Trains, 5th Edition compiled by Pat Hammond. It is a little out of date and the 7th Edition is just about to be published. This is "The Bible" for model train prices.

It depends how much you want this particular model.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 2nd June 2011, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by keir1 View Post
Hello my first post here

Can anyone help me been looking for prices on some of my model trains as want to get rid of them and one of them is the 70047 iron duke which i cannot find much about apart from this..
http://www.swapz.co.uk/swapz/554041/...on_very_rare_/

Is this person having a laugh here or is this really that rare and worth something? any help on the matter would be very much appreciated.
I agree with the £50.00 price tag that others have mentioned. It looks like a mistake because if you look futher down the web site indicated above there are a more models all with a "£50.000" price tag and they are not rare! £50.00 would be a reasonable offer in my opinion.
Hope this helps
Regards
Phil
Old 2nd June 2011, 20:50

Sorry to show my ignorance but why did Hornby produce a model of 70047 named "Iron Duke"?
Old 2nd June 2011, 21:15
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
Sorry to show my ignorance but why did Hornby produce a model of 70047 named "Iron Duke"?
Fair question John as Iron Duke was 70014!

Pat Hammond lists 2 versions of R056 carrying the number 70047 and two carrying 70014 (In Ramsey's Catalogue).. One was fitted with a smoke unit and deflectors made in limited quanities (c50) about 1976 and valued at £120 in 2006.Best person to ask woulf be Pat Hammnd. See: http://www.mremag.com/

Best wishes,

John H-T.

On re-reading this and Ramsay's Guide I note a mistake: Smoke units were NOT fitted to any of the models!
Old 8th July 2012, 08:22

Hi all
Was anyone able to scare up any more information on this? I also have the 70047 version of the Iron Duke, with the three Pullman carriages (unboxed) and I'm unclear on whether the 70014 or the 70047 version is the rarer... both seem pretty uncommon, judging by the Internet's virtual silence on this matter! I've looked at the MRE website but haven't been able to find a forum or contact link for Pat Hammond.
Best regards, Doug
Old 8th July 2012, 13:04
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanulphTheCat View Post
Hi all
Was anyone able to scare up any more information on this? I also have the 70047 version of the Iron Duke, with the three Pullman carriages (unboxed) and I'm unclear on whether the 70014 or the 70047 version is the rarer... both seem pretty uncommon, judging by the Internet's virtual silence on this matter! I've looked at the MRE website but haven't been able to find a forum or contact link for Pat Hammond.
Best regards, Doug
Welcome to the Forum Doug.

It is getting increasingly difficult to get accurate values as there are people out there who are willing to pay silly prices especially on ebay. A good example is Hornby's re-released NRM Duchess of Hamilton. Even after Hornby announced the re-release of this model in their 2012 Catalogue, examples were fetching £175 plus on ebay. I picked up one of the 2012 models at my local model shop for £107! (pre-order price.)

For sometime I have been after a copy of Historical Locomotive Monographs, V0l. 1 LMS & LNER Garrats by Essery and Toms. A recent visit to the Amazon Site came up with four copies at £10; £30; £40 & £100. No prizes for which one I bought, which was from a well known Railway Bookshop and was in perfect condition.

As far as the Hornby Brittania "Iron Duke" is concerned there is a problem. I am assuming that the model in questions is R056, produced 1975-76. According to Ramsay's British Model Trains Catalogue by Pat Hammond there are four versions all with the same number. I only have the 2006 5th edition so the values quoted are out of date but can be used for comparison:

70047 early crest, unlined, no smoke deflectors: £120.
70047 late crest, unlined, no smoke deflectors: £35.
70014 late crest, unlined, no smoke dflectors: £40.
70014 late crest, unlined, smoke deflectors: £120.

Pat Hammond notes that it had a ringfield motor tender drive and sticker name plates. It was a cheap mail order model.

I note that you say yours is unboxed so this will devalue the model considerably. Boxes and condition have quite an effect on price!

Pat Hammond is due to publish a Hornby only Guide next Winter which will be considerably cheaper than the full Ramsay's Guide. He has already done one for Bachmann which is very useful.

In the meantime it might be worth writing a letter to the MRE for publication. Guidance on submissions and details of the Hornby Guide will be found towards the bottom of the current edtion of MRE at

http://www.mremag.com/

Hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 8th July 2012, 17:36

The "Iron Duke" was a mail order catalogue only special with no smoke deflectors and just a nasty stick on nameplate on the smokebox. From memory it only came as a train set so boxes may not actually exist!

The actual 70014 Iron Duke worked the "Golden Arrow" with 70004 "William Shakespeare" when new and worked out of Carlisle well into 1967 latterly attached to a high sided coal pusher tender from a later "Firth" series Britannia.

Oddly enough although the Ring Field Brit is horrible, the older XO4 motored version is a lot more reaalitic, if you close up the tender gap. They were designed for the 12" radius curves of the old grey standard track (as was the 9F) so as long as you don't use less than 15" radius closing the gap to 2mm makes a big difference!