01:14

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Expert advice (hints and tips)

Old 6th January 2006, 23:54
Station Manager

I did ballast the points on my layout. I used teaspoon to apply the ballast to the points of my N gauge layout, then using a very soft brush (wife is still looking for her small blusher brush) I brushed away the over full making sure all the ballast was removed from the moving parts. Then like M.Levin I used a 50/50 mix of water and PVA with a few drops of washing up liquid. As long as the ballast is no higher than the sleepers, then the points move without any problems. The trains ran over the ballasted points and the whole line without any problems. Mind it did take for ever to do it.
DSY011

Old 7th January 2006, 20:30

Had a similar problem with concrete lately. I finally settled on using a light gray primer and doing a heavy wash of aged concrete paint. Both paints were from Polyscale. I just lay the piece flat and do a number of final washes until I get the aging effect I want. For the wash, I use about 90% water to 10% paint. The great thing about this is you get a non-uniform distribution of light and dark areas which is more realistic. I'll see if I can remember to take a few photos.

Tom F
Old 7th January 2006, 21:52

Angry Trains

Its the same as trying to get the media, including the BBC to stop calling Railway Station as "Train Stations", I accept that this is what they are called in the US, which is fine, but again, we loose another bit of our English to Americanisms (please this is no slight on our American freinds).

Its like trying to tell my learned EMD colleagues that a bogie is a bogie and not a Truck!

Ringo
Old 7th January 2006, 22:08

Thanks

i would like to see your photos Tom. i will try your way and see how it trys out it has got to be better then my boring flat atempt of concrete. yes concrete is flat and boring but my concrete is worst.
ps. ringo good comment and good point.
Old 8th January 2006, 01:55

Alright, this get this English thing out of the way.

First off, a bogey is an enemy vehicle...
(ie: "Sir, we got a bogey at nine o'clock). Not to be confused with a boogie (something a schoolboy flicks at his chums) or the "Boogie Man." There is no "Bogey Man" that I know of. Of course, if he's flying an enemy aircraft, I suppose it would be easier to say, "Bogey Man at nine o'clock," than, "Boogie Man flicking a boogie in a bogey at nine o'clock..." Otherwise, saying there is a bogey flying at one from the nine o'clock position would mean that someone tossed a railroad truck at you. Effective maybe, but not practical...

Secondly, a train is something that travels on wheels on a railroad. The railroad is a road made of rails. Trains arrive at a train station, railroads do not arrive at a railroad station, they are always there. Now, I admit that there is an argument for calling it a railroad station as one calls a petrol station a "petrol station" and not an "auto station." Still, Americans go to great lengths to reduce the size of words used to denote a thing as we have to fit more into a shorter space as we always have an awful lot to say--even when nobody else wants to hear it...

Now, lest all you Brits think the word hemorrhage goes one way, here are a few examples of words that are taking hold in America, despite our best efforts to stop them...

"Spot On." This is becoming popular for its brevity. We would normally say, "right on the money." As most of us in the middle class seem to have less and less of the stuff, we prefer to bring up money as little as possible. And keeping with the "pack as many words and concepts into a single sentence or thought," concept, "Spot On" is, well, spot on...

"Winge." Popular only because it sounds funny and Monty Python used it a lot.

"What's this then?" We usually use, "What the ____," (insert appropriate "personal favorite" swear word in the blank). Americans have started using the British phrase as we think it somehow makes us appear more cultured and smarter. Or course, it only works on each other--the rest of the world is not so easily fooled...

(Signature withheld to protect the American...)
Old 8th January 2006, 04:07

Wink Bogy at nine o clock...

We normally have the news at nine o clock......

please note the subtle spelling of Bogie...not as in bogy as in up the nose... the French also use the term Bogie too...only they put an accent on the "E".

so...its a war of words is it...I thought this might happen...didnt want it to though...

If we are not careful, we'll get the Aussie boys joining in, and they seem to abreviate everything right down..like Abbo , etc,,,

We all have our versions of "english" and its a shame that we are all loosing our respective heriatge and becoming "one " language, it seams that loads of kids and 20/30 year old in the UK are East End Innits, fine if your from the sounds of Bow but not if your from sunderland...or from my old neck of the woods, Birmingham!
We all have our own cultures (besides the cultures that grow round the average Karzee..lets keep them, makes it more fun when your abroard...

you know....things like rubber vs eraser, lift vs elevator etc.. railway station vs train station...
come to think of it what is a railway/ train station called in Oz?

Cheers

Ringo
Old 8th January 2006, 11:08

Come on girls, no need to get the handbags out over a few words. the English language is the hardest language to learn. most of the world can speak English or know some words of English, Even tho some Speak it bad (like Birmingham lol) I am from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. This means i have the correct English language. I move to Leeds to pass on this correct language to the northerners, but found the cows and sheep have picked it up quicker.
Lets get back to the point of this Thread. lol
Old 8th January 2006, 20:46
Station Manager

Tom F
You said 'Secondly, a train is something that travels on wheels on a railroad'. Sorry old chap but in Southern Africa and Aussie land there is a Train that travels on the road called a road train. The Aussie have much longer road trains than the ones in Africa. Just an Observation.
DSY011
Old 9th January 2006, 05:00

What, did I say something?

Tom F
Old 9th January 2006, 23:50

While painting 2mm scale rabbits, I found that an ideal way to hold them was to stick them onto a piece of blu tack. There again, Play Doh is non toxic, so if you stick 'em into that and get a bit peckish.......

why am I painting tiny rabbits????????????