08:15

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Expert advice (hints and tips)

Old 30th December 2005, 11:36

Lightbulb Expert advice (hints and tips)

this would be good for tips to help make life easyier.if you have any good Hints or tips for modelling pass them on.

(1) when painting people glue them down to an old ruler this gives you something to hold on to.

(2) use wire wool for bushes and trees its cheep and looks good. tease out the wire wool, paint with a green spray paint, glue and cover with scatter.

Old 31st December 2005, 01:32

Good idea this thread.

I'm about to embark on building my first model railway (N gauge), and I'd be grateful for any tips.

For a kick off, how the hell am I supposed to paint 2mm scale Langley model rabbits? I can barely see 'em!

But seriously, if anyone does have any hints and tips, I reckon there are a good few of us who would be quite pleased to read 'em.

For the record, I'll be using Setrack, as I don't feel happy about slicing my fingers with a razor saw.
Old 31st December 2005, 02:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev
...For a kick off, how the hell am I supposed to paint 2mm scale Langley model rabbits? I can barely see 'em!...
He, he, I had a really good laugh out of that one...

Here are a couple of "how tos" I posted a while back. The first one is about making miniature trees using the stuff you normally toss out when you clean up the yard.

http://www.trainweb.org/tomfassett/models/trees101/

The second one is how I make a jig which allows me to quickly recreate identical sections for trestle support.

http://www.trainweb.org/tomfassett/models/trestle01/

I have become a jig "maniac." Before I put anything together any more, I see if it merits making a jig so I can make more. I just put one together for roof trusses for a car barn as well as the walls to a little yard shed.

Tom F
Old 3rd January 2006, 17:47

Any hints about putting balast down onto track? Hate seeing bare baseboard on people's model railways!

Sam
Old 4th January 2006, 20:25

Thumbs up Balast

I put the balast down then i add glue (50% PVA and 50% water with a drop of washing up liguid). to apply the glue to the balast i use a syringe, the type you get from babies medicine, don,t drowned the balast, just a few drops.
Old 5th January 2006, 02:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.levin
I put the balast down then i add glue (50% PVA and 50% water with a drop of washing up liguid). to apply the glue to the balast i use a syringe, the type you get from babies medicine, don,t drowned the balast, just a few drops.
How do you make sure that you don't get the moving bits of points al gummed up? This has been something which has always puzzled me. Do you not ballast around the points, or what?
Old 5th January 2006, 20:55

balast

I glued the balast down on one of my point, well the wife glued down the balast on my point by mistake. whilst the glue was drying i kept opening and closing the point and this seem to do the trick. i am going to try this again and see if it works. i think that the fact i use 50% PVA & 50% water with a drop of washing up liquid helped. if you plan to try this i would try it on a old point to see if it works for you.
Old 5th January 2006, 22:44

I stop the balast right before the moving sections and paint fake balast around these sections.

Tom F
Old 5th January 2006, 23:20

Thanks for that, lads.

At least I don't have to worry about my missus ballasting track. She still persists in calling locomotives 'trains'. And this is after numerous visits to the NRM!
Old 6th January 2006, 18:30

it doesn't matter how hard you try and tell the wife not to call them trains, you will fail!,

*one problem i have is with painting concrete. how do you make it look like concrete. it doesn't matter what shade of gray i use, it still doesn't look the part.*