12:09

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

1980's spotting days remembered

Old 1st April 2017, 17:49

1980's spotting days remembered

Hello everyone. My name is Martin from Stafford. I began spotting in 1980 aged 11 and continued throughout this decade up to 1990. Due to other commitments and priorities I was no longer able to continue. I have been reviewing my old records which has been very nostalgic. Remembering all my visits to depots up and down Britain was great, from Eastfield to Laira from Holyhead to Norwich from Swansea to Newcastle. My parents were fantastic to let a 13 year old boy travel by himself around Britain, although I was 6ft 2in and looked 16 which did help! All my mates were really envious of me as they were only allowed to visit Stafford station. My interest in girls did get in the way sometimes. I met one of my girlfriends on the way back from a trip to Gateshead and Thornaby whilst changing trains at Stalybridge. She was with her parents and thought that it was brilliant that I was allowed to travel on my own. This was when you had to catch the DMU from Stockport to Stalybridge in order to travel from Stafford to Leeds and Newcastle.During our 1981 Midland Railtour my dad persuaded the driver of 47530 to let us ride in the cab from Gloucester to Derby- unforgettable experience! It helped that my dad was an ex driver who could have driven the 47 himself. My dad trained on steam, diesel and electrics in the 60's, but due to Beeching he would have had to relocate to Eastleigh from Crewe which he was not willing to do. He worked at GEC in Stafford until he retired. Anyway, reviewing my old records has sparked my interest again so I have purchased a spotters companion. Sometimes my work is located close to railway lines and I am amazed how many new locomotives have been built since I finished spotting in 1990. Although, most engines I see appear to be 66's and 90's around the Stafford area, but I am only casually spotting so there may be others. I still prefer my old spotting days but things move on as they must. Some of my old records from 1989/90 have been mislaid and I am hoping that this forum may be able to help. I had visited Vic Berry scrapyard in Leicester with my dad at this time where we had seen a number of class 25 and 27 locos and possibly additional classes if I recall correctly from memory. Does anyone have a record of the loco numbers awaiting disposal at the scrapyard? If anyone can assist your help will be extremely appreciated. My records will then be complete. Please do get in touch with me with any information you may have. Many thanks for your help. Martin.

Old 1st April 2017, 20:13
Station Manager

Hello Martin and welcome to the forum from all the staff, enjoy and all the best and good luck.
Old 1st April 2017, 20:36
Station Manager

Hello Martin and welcome to the Railway Forum. Sorry but I have never been to the Vic Berry scrapyard, so I'm no help to you there.
Old 2nd April 2017, 08:04

Have a look at RAIL UK web site.Lots of info there including history of scrap yards.
Stuart.
Old 2nd April 2017, 08:58

Welcome to the forum Martin, you have a wealth of experience to share with us by the sound of your introduction.
Hope you enjoy the forum and have many more stories to post.
Old 7th April 2017, 01:42

Is this what you have in mind Martin? (Click on link to open )
http://www.railwayforum.net/gallery/...&cutoffdate=-1
Old 9th April 2017, 18:01

Welcome to the forum Martin. There's some info here (it says it's not a comprehensive list):

http://www.derbysulzers.com/vicberry.html

Hope this helps.

Tony
Old 12th April 2017, 16:41

Many thanks TRP for the info on Vic Berry's scrapyard. It has proved most helpful. Viewing the photographs was like being back there again. Much appreciated. Martin.