20:01

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hi all!-NCC engines

Old 26th October 2007, 16:29

Smile Hi all!-NCC engines

Hello everyone ! I am seeking information about NCC engines.Please,dont laugh,but I really know very little about those marvelous feats of engineering that I remember fondly of since childhood.
I am at present comprising a "scrap book" of my family history which is intended to be past down the generations,each adding their own life history.
I have started with my grandfather who,I have found out was an NCC engine driver.Despite research,I can not find imformation about this.I know my father was a wagon repairer so from this I have assumed that they both worked in some area of the railway industry.What does NCC stand for?Is it a type of engine or the name of the industry he worked for?Can anyone enlighten me please?Both grandparents and parents are now deceased so I am at a loss regarding this.
Many thanks,Chris

Old 26th October 2007, 17:54

NCC stood for Northern Counties Committee. They managed a series of railway lines in Northern Ireland and belonged to the LMS (London Midland and Scottish Railway) who had inherited them in the grouping of 1923. I'm afraid that's all I know,but I'm sure someone can expand on that. Coincidentally, I reckon your scrapbook idea is great.

Adam
Old 26th October 2007, 17:57

NCC = Northern Counties Committee. Later variant became LMS (NCC).

And, yes, the NCC 4-4-0's were impressive engines and I think that No. 72 is preserved. At the moment I'm not in a position to check out what data I do have but I think all NCC locos emanated from the Derby worls of the Midland Railway and later the LMSR. Those impressive 4-4-0s seem to me to bear an uncanny resemblance to the S&DJR 4-4-0's only larger.

Good luck with your hunt.

Mike
Old 26th October 2007, 18:01

Grandfather Irish by any chance?
NCC stands for Northern Counties Comittee

check out this link - http://www.steamindex.com/locotype/ireloco.htm#ncc

hope it helps
Old 26th October 2007, 18:29

Welcome Chris.
I hope the forum can help you in your search for information and that you will continue to visit.
Old 26th October 2007, 19:45
Station Manager

Welcome and all the best Chris and good luck with your search.

Chris.
Old 26th October 2007, 22:59

robbo kindly posted a link (above) to the Back Track magaine index which is often useful but is far from current. What I hope I can find the time to do is to dig out is a more recent Back Track which has a brilliant article on Irish 4-4-0's. I've got parts 2 & 3 of the series and I'm hoping that the latter covers the NCC varieties.

Also on my list of things to do is to dig out my back-up disk with a very good image of No. 72 on it. A batch of recent scans also contained one not so very good shot of a NCC 4-4-0 awaiting scrap.

Mike
Old 27th October 2007, 08:33

thats all correct. No 72 is in the Cultra Museum not far outside Belfast which Ive never visited but is on my TO DO list as it looks fabulous.
Old 27th October 2007, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upney Sidings View Post
Also on my list of things to do is to dig out my back-up disk with a very good image of No. 72 on it.
Late last evening I did dig out that shot of NCC No. 72 which is now available to view in the Forum's gallery.

Mike
Old 27th October 2007, 20:43

Dont think he was Irish,he died when I was a baby so I never knew him.My father used to speak fluent Welsh and had rels in Swanea so I assumed that he was too.BUT now I know abit more about the engine history,I shall delve into the Irish census to see if I can find more info.Many thanks,Chris25