16:13

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

New Yard at Tonbridge?

Old 10th July 2008, 18:20
SouthernSteam

New Yard at Tonbridge?

Anyone know what the new yard is at Tonbridge? Located between the junctions for the Paddock Wood - Ashford and Tunbridge Wells lines, consists of three or four siding and a new shed-type structure.

At first I thought it was a carriage wash, but the head-shunt looks way to small. Is it a new loco stabling point perhaps?

I have had to use the line this week, so forgive me if this is old news, but I don't often see much from the train windows, usually being stuck in a van for work!

Old 10th July 2008, 20:11

I've been seeing this yard develop over the past few months, previously there were two sidings, but an extra two with buffers facing Tonbridge were added for use by Colas Rail/Network Rail for MPV stabling during the Rail Head Treatment Season.

From what it looks like now there are four sidings with buffers facing towards the Paddock Wood end and also between 2-4 sidings with buffer facing towards Tonbridge station. The area where the shed is, which has a concrete ground, I assume will be used for light maintenance and servicing of MPVs when used during the RHTT months.

This is just guess at what is going on there but I hope it helps anyway.

My Rail Photos @ http://craigrailpics.fotopic.net/

My Rail Videos @ http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=21C123
Old 11th July 2008, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRf_66709 View Post
The area where the shed is, which has a concrete ground, I assume will be used for light maintenance and servicing of MPVs when used during the RHTT months.
Yes that's quite plausible. I've heard that Amec (or whatever they're calling themselves this month) have taken on alot more Orpington drivers on account of getting more work out of Tonbridge.

Incidentally MPVs are used all year round - in the spring & summer they're on weedkiller duties, though this is alot more relaxed for the crews than the allnight/everynight regime in Lo-Adhesion season.
Old 11th July 2008, 18:28
SouthernSteam

Thanks for the info....