10:00

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

High-speed rail plans announced (BBC News)

Old 11th March 2010, 12:30

High-speed rail plans announced (BBC News)

Plans for a new rail line capable of carrying trains of up to 250mph between London and Birmingham are announced by Transport Secretary Lord Adonis.

More from BBC News...

Old 11th March 2010, 13:29

Interesting news - for us overseas members, a link to a map with the proposed route would be appreciated.
Old 11th March 2010, 13:31

I don't think the map on the BBC website is accurate as Lord Adonis is talking about services up the east coast on the radio and that isn't shown by the BBC

Last edited by Pesmo; 11th March 2010 at 13:51.
Old 11th March 2010, 14:05

Oh, I see that they have now updated the map and added the link to the East

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8561286.stm
Old 11th March 2010, 16:51

makes sense to me, but I notice the only people against this are either a) environmental pressure groups b) people who don't use the train or c) just idiots.

Most sane people can see that we have needed this for years and the Y shape is the right way to go. with hopefully a trans pennine route later in the offing
Old 12th March 2010, 08:27
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0hn0 View Post
makes sense to me, but I notice the only people against this are either a) environmental pressure groups b) people who don't use the train or c) just idiots.

Most sane people can see that we have needed this for years and the Y shape is the right way to go. with hopefully a trans pennine route later in the offing
Well said j0hn0. We really cannot afford the time it took to get the Channel Tunnel Link past all the protestors. This project needs to be under construction within the next ten years, otherwise we run a serious risk of falling far behind many other countries in the world in the development of modern high speed links. A terrible irony for the country that gave the world railways!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 12th March 2010, 08:54

I can't tell from the map although I see Brackley included. Why can't part the old GC route be used to there to overcome protests? GC alignment was laid for very high speeds so it wouldn't take much rebuilding.

Inserting a railhead at Brackley would aslo make some commercial sense if not a sensible compromise to ease local opposition.
Old 12th March 2010, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Road View Post
I can't tell from the map although I see Brackley included. Why can't part the old GC route be used to there to overcome protests? GC alignment was laid for very high speeds so it wouldn't take much rebuilding.

Inserting a railhead at Brackley would aslo make some commercial sense if not a sensible compromise to ease local opposition.
Detailed maps here http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/hi.../hs2ltd/route/

Brackley here http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/hi...oute/map15.pdf

Looking at the old formation on the edge of the town http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.03...03726,-1.13983 it looks like they've gone outside of the bypass to keep the noise down a bit. It also occurs to me that the formation curves the wrong way for the line to run north of Brackley without a sharper curve than is required for full speed ops..

Last edited by Eccles71B; 12th March 2010 at 10:20.
Old 12th March 2010, 12:40

So has anyone looked in detail to see if they are planning to use any old formations or is it greenfield stuff all the way ?
Old 12th March 2010, 15:47

It seems to use parts of the old G.C.R. formation starting just to the north of Quainton Road and finishing just to the south of where Brackley Viaduct used to be. Still looking at the rest.

Regards, 62440.