11:50

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Peak Rails Link to Network Rail at Matlock

Old 14th May 2011, 21:47

Going to an hourly service made a big difference.

Old 15th May 2011, 21:31
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestreleyes View Post
i do agree, whilst a nice idea,why would we want to take over the branch to ambergate?,with the problems it could entail,we have a nice length of line now,not too long,just right length to not get the kids bored too, plus youd have to expend some money on facilities at the ambegate end for running around thatd always be temporary with the signalling works required etc.

as we all feel -there will hopefully be many years of national operations on the branch to come and thats the best option to be honest, we work best where we interface (PR&EVR) into the NR system and the valley and its attractions have for many years not been pushed to the full potential, good to hear to the numbers on the EVR for normal travellers are up too, weve also noted a rise in numbers and as you say i hope its due to the poor service the a6 provides and not just something due to the credit crunch,else the figures could drop when that mess eventually gets sorted out,last bank holiday,my colleague Pete noted traffic down to about 20 mph all the way from Rowsley to Matlock,we never saw a break in traffic on the a6 alongside all day!

we note quite a few passengers getting on at Riverside one way too,they usually walk the dales on the way back alongside the railway,this used to be more the domain of your side of the valley over wirksworth way where there are more walkers and less tourists who dont want to stray too far from their cars,such as is the usual traffic of tourists through matlock and rowsley towards chatsworth.

does anyone know what passenger trends at say Crich and MRC are like,is there a surge there too???

does anyone know whats happening with the portion of land at Duffield on the EVR the other side of the runround loop fence opposite the platform, are you making it a carpark of your own,i note the station carparks are to be pay and display soon!,would be a good idea.
The rest of the EVR Land at Duffield is planned to be used for carparking but needs more work before it can be opened up.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 16th May 2011, 19:31

The problem with railways is you have to think 20 years ahead. Factor in the eventual run to Buxton, HS2 feeder, Sainsbury's freight siding, quarry products via Peak Rail, shunting the quarry sidings and the exponential growth in passenger numbers. Not to mention the ambitions of Deutsche Bahn..

My crystal ball tells me that you won't recognize Peak Rail in 20 years time. It will be necessary to stay ahead of the game or lose out..

Buxton to Brussels..

Matlock to Madrid..

Think BIG
Old 17th May 2011, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw View Post
The problem with railways is you have to think 20 years ahead. Factor in the eventual run to Buxton, HS2 feeder, Sainsbury's freight siding, quarry products via Peak Rail, shunting the quarry sidings and the exponential growth in passenger numbers. Not to mention the ambitions of Deutsche Bahn..

My crystal ball tells me that you won't recognize Peak Rail in 20 years time. It will be necessary to stay ahead of the game or lose out..

Buxton to Brussels..

Matlock to Madrid..

Think BIG
Phil
is it you with the Atlantic tunnels plans ?????

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 18th May 2011, 20:25

Nope, not me..

Can't visualize uploading monthly travelcard Millersdale to Manhattan to my Oystercard, even in 2031! LOL..
Old 18th May 2011, 23:22

damn,and i was hoping we could introduce oystercard too!!!!

thanks for the replies,makes sense having your own car park.
Old 19th May 2011, 07:48

Some form of touch card system is about to be installed on the main line. Dont think it will include through tickets on to the evr or Peak Rail - I haven't tried Belper station's machine.
Old 19th May 2011, 21:43

I very much expect that we will see Oyster on a few Heritage lines inside ten years. Its a very convenient way to pay.
Old 19th May 2011, 22:09
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern View Post
Some form of touch card system is about to be installed on the main line. Dont think it will include through tickets on to the evr or Peak Rail - I haven't tried Belper station's machine.
Through tickets to Wirksworth are available from EMT Booking Offices but I don't know about ticket machines.

Best wishes,

John.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 19th May 2011, 22:46

Pity the National Rail enquiries website don't know about that, John, been trying to sort out a through price for the weekend.

Regards, 62440.