15:58

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Light Rail and Metros

Emerging Destination/Markets for LRV

Old 30th July 2009, 11:28

Emerging Destination/Markets for LRV

Hello,

Of late I have been reading lot of articles on "Middle East and Africa" being the the new hot spot for light rail projects. Nations are investing heavily to improve the railway infrastructure (many projects involving light rail).

One thing really intrigues me.Transportation majors are vying for a substantial share in those projects now. Those includes some leading tram manufacturers that don't have any presence in the market (not even in terms of sales office/ marketing office). I wonder how it would be possible for them to bid for the projects without having significance presence. Could any one throw some light or suggestions on the same.

Old 30th July 2009, 19:16

Sorry Paul but how can a "leading tram manufacturer" NOT have any presence in the market? Or am I missing something?
Can you give some examples of the companies and projects involved?
Old 31st July 2009, 07:11

John i would like to explain it with an example as requested.Middle east (Arab countries) nations are investing a lot at present on railway projects specially light rail projects. Suppose we take an example of Bombardier Transportation, I cannot find any indicators that they have any sales/marketing office in those countries although aerospace division does have offices (pls correct me if I am mistaken). And also I could hardly find any railway projects they have been involved till now in Middle East.
Now when opportunities are present in the middle east market, it would be very difficult on part of Bombardier transportation to be optimistic on those projects without any presence ( as mentioned without sales/marketing people or experience in terms of projects done earlier).
However, there are some transportation giants who have significant presence in market though offices or in terms of projects done over there. Certainly i think they would be preferred over companies having no presence at all.
Old 31st July 2009, 10:08

Thanks for that Paul. I misunderstood your comments. When you talked of leading tram manufacturers not having a presence I was thinking globally (which doesn't make sense ) and not just in the Middle East.
As someone who knows very little about the business side of light rail projects what you are saying doesn't sound particularly odd to me but obviously it is or you wouldn't be asking the question.
When representatives, interested parties and information can be readily transported anywhere around the globe I wouldn't have thought that it made economic sense to have an office in every country where a potential market existed.

Last edited by swisstrains; 31st July 2009 at 10:12.