11:37

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Station memories.

Old 22nd April 2015, 18:21

Post Station memories.

Having posted some pictures I took 30 years ago got me thinking of the atmosphere of the railway stations all those years ago, the sights, smells, objects & general ambiance that has faded away. The BRUTE trolley that was always a good seat, the Travellers Fare emanating it's fruit machine's electronic 'plinks' & 'plonks'. The slamming train doors, the smell of tobacco smoke. Salt used to rid the frost from platforms, now no longer allowed, metal litter bins before terrorists won the day. The days when they were called railway stations & not the awful modern fad of calling them 'train' stations. Any memories to add? Perhaps quirky one's of the stations you use to visit regularly. Steve.

Old 22nd April 2015, 19:22

My memory that sticks in the mind from the 60s was the departure boards that had the rolling list that every so often someone had to roll onto the next section. There is one preserved in the Crewe Heritage Centre.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2655/4...b70c13e7d4.jpg Like this at my old haunt Bradford Exchange

Trains that went to unusual stations not the clinical clockface set timetable we have now.....it always amazes the wife when we see a train these days and I can normally guess the destination...not that she would know if I was wrong

Oh and there were staff working in the stations...there's a novelty.

Would I go back....yes I would......though I would miss the Pumpkin outlets

Last edited by ShepleyFlyer; 22nd April 2015 at 19:29.
Old 22nd April 2015, 20:19

Coming from the South Eastern region, I remember the days before Tightlock couplers - when stations like Tonbridge (where third rail EMUs split & attached) had a permanent shunter on duty.

He had to go between the units in the platform as they 'eased up' to trip the buckeye and remove the air pipe and brake pipe.

They never seem worried about the risk of being electrocuted or crushed between the units - nowadays of course Elf & Safetree would never allow it.
Old 22nd April 2015, 21:03

Dismal waiting rooms that always smelt of gas.
The "Gents" urinals with their aroma of **** and Jeyes Fluid.
Platform refreshment trolleys selling KiaOra orange drinks and fruit pies in boxes
Old 22nd April 2015, 21:22

Spotting at Clapham Junction... never a dull moment, with a train every few seconds and a shunting tank to watch if ever there was a quiet spell. And frequently being chased off the platform by one jobsworth or another – not that that bothered us as there were plenty of other platforms to choose from!
Old 23rd April 2015, 00:05

Manchester Victoria back in the early seventies, a dismal but yet fascinating place especially in the hours of darkness.

By this time it was really run down and areas of it seemed to be abandoned or under used, such as the bay platforms, not a great advertisement for anybody's first impression of Manchester.

It also had its own unique smell, diesel fumes mixed with the output of the nearby Boddingtons brewery and the Phillips stick-a-sole and heels factory. It was one of those smells which never leave you.

Cheers John

Last edited by JEB-245584/2; 23rd April 2015 at 00:09.
Old 23rd April 2015, 08:48

That jogged a few memories Staff at stations! Outrageous!
Old 23rd April 2015, 08:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB-245584/2 View Post
Manchester Victoria back in the early seventies, a dismal but yet fascinating place especially in the hours of darkness.

By this time it was really run down and areas of it seemed to be abandoned or under used, such as the bay platforms, not a great advertisement for anybody's first impression of Manchester.

It also had its own unique smell, diesel fumes mixed with the output of the nearby Boddingtons brewery and the Phillips stick-a-sole and heels factory. It was one of those smells which never leave you.

Cheers John
Fantastic reply Your description of Manchester Victoria brought it all back, a station that always oozed character. Steve.
Old 23rd April 2015, 10:18

On Derby station looking up at the roof with its glass all missing thanks to Hitler, the ring of the bells in the box on Platform 2-3 and the crash of the levers.

THe large round table in Gloucester Eastgate waiting room where I settled to try and get some sleep while I waited for the morning train to Bath Green Park
Old 23rd April 2015, 19:51

Your description of Manchester Victoria brought it all back, a station that always oozed character. Steve.

I remember Vic very well and it used to ooze all sorts ! I did a lot of spotting there in the 50's when everything was steam (except the Bury electrics).