20:00

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Events & Dates for your Diary

The Flying Scotsman

Old 16th September 2015, 20:38

The Flying Scotsman

East Lancashire Railway

Preview Flying Scotsman in its black undercoat as it builds up its mileage on our railway.

This will be the first opportunity for visitors to ride behind the famous engine ahead of its official completion. The dedicated "Scotsman in Steam" event on 9 - 10 and 16 - 17 January 2016 will see Flying Scotsman take to the tracks for both passenger services and luxury dining experiences.

Visitors will have the opportunity to enjoy a return trip behind what many believe is the world's most famous engine. Book a seat on Flying Scotsman's passenger service and reserve not only your place in history but bragging rights too!

Make your Flying Scotsman experience even more memorable and ride in style on board the opulent Observation Saloon.

The East Lancashire Railway will be offering visitors an exclusive opportunity to dine behind the prestigious locomotive with both their Premium Dining Nights and Red Rose Diners on 8, 9, 15 and 16 January.

A Ride & Dine package will also be available on 10 and 17 January which includes a morning return trip on board Flying Scotsman and a three course traditional Lancastrian Lunch hauled by the railway’s flagship locomotive “The Crab” 13065

More information and online booking for the Scotsman in Steam Preview experiences will be announced on our website in early October. For further information on Scotsman Season 2016 visit the National Railway Museum's dedicate Flying Scotsman website

Old 17th September 2015, 13:56

Preview Flying Scotsman in its black undercoat as it builds up its mileage on our railway.
The E.L.R?
Stuart

Last edited by D.O.G.F.A.N.; 17th September 2015 at 13:58.
Old 17th September 2015, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O.G.F.A.N. View Post
The E.L.R?
Stuart
That's what it says at the top of the article

According to the blurb on the website it may be booked seats only over the two weekends, which has put me off a bit, as I like to wander about, but that may change if they don't get the number of bookings they are expecting.
Old 18th September 2015, 21:02

Are yes I understood that.My query was........will she be tested up and down the E.L.R.line between now and then?Or will she be shipped out elsewhere.
Stuart.
Old 19th September 2015, 09:50

Too far north for me I'm afraid. Shame, would love to be there ....
Old 20th September 2015, 20:15

Quote:
Are yes I understood that.My query was........will she be tested up and down the E.L.R.line between now and then?Or will she be shipped out elsewhere.
Stuart.

As far as I know January will be the first time she takes to the metals under her own steam.. However, I could be wrong. The NRM website is typically vague. It states that FS will make its inaugural run between London Kings Cross and York sometime in February 2016. Ian Riley and Son will be managing the operation of the loco for it's first two years and seeing as they are based in Bury I suspect that FS will be a fairly frequent visitor to the ELR in between it's other commitments...

12-20 March North Yorkshire Moors Railway
10 May London King's Cross to Newcastle
14 May London King's Cross to Edinburgh
15 May Fife morning circular
17 May Edinburgh to Kings Cross
19 May York to Kings Cross
21 May London to Salisbury
21 May Salisbury circular - Hampshire Cream Tea
25 May London to Ely
25 May Ely to Norwich - East Anglian Cream Tea
28 May London to Bath
28 May Bristol to Taunton - Somerset Cream Tea
1 June Victoria circular - Chilterns Lunchtime Tour
1 June Victoria circular - Surrey Hills Evening Tour

22-25 September Severn Valley Railway Information and booking

Last edited by draximus; 20th September 2015 at 20:25.
Old 18th February 2016, 12:09

Flying Scotsman inaugural run

I understand that the Flying Scotsman's inaugural run from Kings Cross to York will take place on Thursday 25th February 2016. Can anyone recommend the best place(s) around Grantham, Newark or Doncaster for getting a good view & photographs as it passes??

Also I am in London the day before (Wednesday 24th February) and wondered if it might be possible to see the train being prepared.

Any information would be gratefully received.
Old 18th February 2016, 14:30

Steam Dreams are covering this run.Not much information at present, save for departure at 0740hrs Kings Cross, arriving York 1226hrs, along the East Coast Main Line. Real time trains will assist when times are published on UK Steam. I tend to look at Google Earth and try to find a suitable spot near me.
Tip..........when you find one get there early.You will not be alone!!
Good Luck:
Stuart
Old 19th February 2016, 08:39

Location: Lancashire (but the GPO will insist on telling me I live in Merseyside)
Quote:
Steam Dreams are covering this run.Not much information at present, save for departure at 0740hrs Kings Cross, arriving York 1226hrs, along the East Coast Main Line. Real time trains will assist when times are published on UK Steam. I tend to look at Google Earth and try to find a suitable spot near me.
Tip..........when you find one get there early.You will not be alone!!
Good Luck:
Stuart
If, as you say Stuart, it is a Steam Dreams tour then surely it will have fallen foul of the WCRC ban, or have DBS stepped in to take it over?

KEN
Old 19th February 2016, 09:01

Can't see this one failing Ken.
It's the N.R.M.'s blue ribbon event.
Sold out at £450 a head!!!!
Stuart.