10:16

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

The Future of Train Interiors and Passenger Experience?!

Old 28th February 2013, 16:39

Post The Future of Train Interiors and Passenger Experience?!

Hi,

I am a current Design Masters Student seeking input, personal observations, issues and experiences of current train interiors? If you are unhappy with them, what are the reasons for your viewpoint? I agree that train interiors need resolving and am currently working toward improving them. I envisage an environment that is designed for commuters to work, allowing people to spend less time at work! Again personal viewpoints for/against this concept are welcome.

Old 28th February 2013, 16:45

Describe you visualisation of how this would improve disabled access and travel

bearing in mind that the law is an ass (and this is my personal bee in my bonnet) at present the TOC's are only required to provide wheelchair access for 2 passengers per train and most require a minimum of 24 hours pre booking to actually get on a train

AS for work I am aiming at being a pre lance photo journalist with a railway speciality but for now I am just long term sick and haven't ridden on a train for a few years

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 28th February 2013, 18:51

The completely unnecessary Airline type seating which seams to predominate. The seats are far to large for purpose and leave passengers feeling clostophobic. They seats serve no useful purpose from the safety aspect either as half the passengers will be facing forward anyway. The Pedolinos on the West Coast are a prime example. I hate them!!!! John (Ryston)
Old 28th February 2013, 21:04

Hello Joe and welcome to the Forum. My pet hate is how cramped and uncomfortable modern trains are. As I've commented before on this Forum, whenever I take the train to an airport, when I get into a standard economy class seat on the aircraft I notice how much more spacious and comfortable it is than the train seat I was travelling in. It shouldn't be like this, surely. If you can find a preserved railway to visit (for example, Peak Rail is quite near Sheffield) sit in one of their "Mark I" carriages. They were the standard type of carriage manufactured through the 1950s and 1960s, 64 seats to a carriage, four across, in groups of four around a table. They'll seem like large well padded armchairs compared with what we're squeezed into these days.

If I could make just one suggestion to improve the seating on modern trains, what would it be? Make all seating four rather than five across to give passengers a bit of space.

Best of luck with your project.
Old 28th February 2013, 22:48

May I suggest that the seating layout is sorted out BEFORE the carriage body is designed in order to get the windows lined up with the seats. Nothing worse than a long journey staring at a blank wall.
Old 1st March 2013, 01:16

Thought this subject might get a response. There is no comparison between the levels of comfort we enjoyed in the 50s and 60s and what we have to endure now. Also: this forum might be the wrong place to air these views. I use the trains regularly but get the feeling that most who contribute here hardly ever travel by rail. Most seem to be just sort of train voyeurs! John.
Old 1st March 2013, 10:33

THe problem with tilting is the inward taper towards the cant rail to keep within gauge which restricts the amount of room inside and, for me, contributes towards the claustrophobic effect.

This applies to Pendolinos but has been carried on to Voyagers and Meridians. (Voyager class 221s can tilt but it isnt used)

Longer coaches also have to be narrower to keep within the loading gauge

From Sheffield, compare riding in a Cross Country Voyager with an East MIdland Trains refurbished 153 or 156. For me the minimum inward taper I would say is what you get on a 158.

For a modern train I find EMT's refurbished 158s quite emjoyable except in the airline seats where my knees dont fit properly and if I use the fold-down flap for a drink or a snack it's practically under my chin.

Last edited by wyvern; 1st March 2013 at 10:47.
Old 1st March 2013, 10:54

A well thought out response. Having to tilt must impose restrictions but it would help if the seats were not so large for no real reason. I am 6 feet tall and when I sit in one the backrest still extends a foot or so above my head. The only comfortable place used to be the restaurant car but they have just about gone.
Old 1st March 2013, 12:22

Well I have to agree with most of the comments re the "airline style seating" high backs and no leg room. Now I would suggest to anyone to have a ride on our heritage railways to see the difference with how the seating was far more open and comfortable. It seem now a case of cram them in at all costs. Make it expensive and cut out the buffet and restaurant cars too, and hey presto we have the modern way to travel on our rails? Some of the local lines around Birmingham have descent carriages that are open and spacious. The main line carriers seem to be the worst for comfort and they are invariably the longest journeys!
Anyway forgot to say a warm welcome to the forum from me too Joe.
All the best
Phil
Old 1st March 2013, 13:30
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum Joe.

Quite simple really all seats have a table and a window to look out of. Start from the HST and work from there!

best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.

Tags
passenger trains, train