17:26

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

What's the matter with my Triang OO Class 40 075 Diesel?

Old 30th September 2009, 12:54

What's the matter with my Triang OO Class 40 075 Diesel?

Recently bought a second hand Class Triang 40 075 Diesel and, although it did run briefly (albeit not that well), it has now given up the ghost (not even any humming/vibration). I noticed that the wheels are pretty filthy and when I removed the outer casing from the chassis I noticed that one of the copper spring contacts had popped off its plastic retaining 'pin' (which itself may have broken off) and is therefore not really pressing on the wheel with any real conviction. Could this be the cause of the failure? Anything I can do? New contacts? A good clean? Bit of superglue?!
Any help would be brilliant - it wasn't a huge investment but I do rather like it.

Old 30th September 2009, 13:54

Well depending on what type of motor it is it sounds like it's in need of a over haul an a bit of tlc, I to have bought some old Hornby an lima loco's off of ebay that were suposed to be non runners but after a good clean wheels, brushes an motor they run well now but if i can help i will but i need to know what type of motor is in your loco.
Old 30th September 2009, 16:53

Thanks Phill,
I'll post a pic when I get home. I have a very noisy tender driven Flying Scotsman too, it was suggested to me that I buy new drive tyres, which I have done, but I can't work out how to get to the wheels - there doesn't seem to be any screws!
Cheers,
Dav'
Old 30th September 2009, 18:27

motor.jpg

Looks pretty shocking doesn't it?! What would one clean this with - lighter fluid?

Cheers,
Dav'
Old 30th September 2009, 19:24

Hi Dav,
Never use lighter fluid unless you don't want it to run again, You will have to strip the motor down an clean it with a fibreglass burnishing brush that you can get from your local model shop then clean the brushes an the copper contacts on the motor then re-assemble the motor an try it out. as for the tender wheels there may be a screw at 1 end or the other if not there may be some locating lugs on the sides at sole bar hight at the bottom of the body. Just place a flat screwdriver an gently slide it between the frame an the body an slide it to one end or the other, i hope this helps. Phill.
Old 30th September 2009, 19:52

Cheers Phill,
I'll give it a go and report back!

Dav'