15:08

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Favourite Station

Old 30th July 2009, 19:32
garethtaylor1

My favorite stations have got to be Doncaster, Carlisle, Peterborough and Tamworh.

Old 31st July 2009, 09:56

Everyone in Auckland would say Britomart, so I'll be different and say the new under-construction Newmarket station.

More photos and videos: nzrailphotos.co.nz
Old 1st August 2009, 12:06

Woody Bay, North Devon. It's a full sized Southern Railway station in the middle of blissful nowhere but the tracks are only two-foot gauge!!! Otherwise, if past stations are allowed, Ventnor on the Isle of Wight. Here Victorian trains came out of a long, deep tunnel straight into a station built in a chalk quarry noisy with seagulls and lined with caverns full of coal! And this was 1960 not 1860. Beat that!
Old 1st August 2009, 21:22

fave station

this may sound odd but i would have to say Plymouth as most of my favourite trains (high-speed first great western) depart and arrive there.

other fave is Loughborough as i have family there and it looks pretty in winter.

Squeaky88
Old 1st August 2009, 21:31

I always enjoy looking up and enjoying the great Victorian train sheds of big city mainline stations, and Paddington has to be my favourite terminus - I really hope that it doesn't get spoilt as it gets fully equipped with overhead lines over the next few years - perhaps they'll do it sympathetically and refurbish it while they're at it?
Waverley is such a fantastic through station, and gradually getting better - such a shame the old goods station was re-developed in the 80s which has meant that its expansion is 'bitty', as I'm sure that area could have been developed into a useful extension of the passenger space.
As for smaller .. I still enjoy being on the platform of some of the old HR and West Highland stations that have retained crossing loops and original buildings. Nairn is a bit of a gem, as is Brora, and Crianlarich quirky and interesting!

Abroad, had the pleasure of a trip to Milan last summer - stunning terminal, with its tracks all so clean!

I often wish I'd been around to see many of the lost stations in the 'Golden Age' ... St Enochs, and the Old Euston especially.

Last edited by jeemac; 1st August 2009 at 21:33. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 2nd August 2009, 06:48

Tilehurst station (Reading) was the first station I was taken to as a toddler some 57 years ago, when it was all steam except for the occasional ex-GWR AEC railcar.My grandad used to take me there on a Sunday morning, turns out he was waiting for 'The Roebuck' to open; I visited the station last year for the first time since the 60's, and although only the Oxford trains call there, it's nevertheless a very busy location, and pretty much in original condition (except for the goods yard & signalbox which disappeared way back). I visited 'The Roebuck', eager to tell the staff that I'd waited 56 years to find out what the INSIDE of the pub looked like, also to use the toilets, since the one at the station was locked. Typically, the pub was closed for refurbishment. Rats. Lovely station, and very well-kept, great for photography, but rush now, before the masts start going up!
Old 4th August 2009, 23:11

Evening all , this is my first post.
My favourite station is (or should I say was) Crystal Palace High level which closed in 1954 and was demolished in the early 60's. It was the terminus of a branch line from Nunhead and was a completely O.T.T and very elaborate station which soon looked unkempt and quite sinister as the number of passengers dwindled.
I also have a soft spot for Kings Cross prior to electification , when the tunnels to and from Moorgate where still open.

J.C
Old 11th January 2012, 00:52

Favourite Station

If I could go back in a time machine to the late 70s or early 80s some of my favourite stations would be-
Glasgow Central
Carstairs Junction
Crewe
Birmingham New Street
York
London Paddington
Clapham Junction
Manchester Victoria
Edinburgh Waverley
Guide Bridge
Newcastle Central
Finsbury Park
Old 11th January 2012, 07:43

I'd happily sit all day at Minehead.

My Railway Herald album
http://www.railwayherald.com/imaging...ographer/13870
Old 11th January 2012, 11:09

Mine has to be LLangollen Station at the side of the River Dee.
It brings back memories of the last days of operating in the late 60's when I was on my way to school.
Unfortunately in those days the only trains were freight and track lifting wagons.