08:00

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Ely / March

Old 15th June 2011, 19:40

Ely / March

Hi all , due to visit Ely and March in July wondering what freight use these lines, how often and what loco's can i expect to see. was thinking of going onto the stations or can you offer better locations, no problem with transport.
look forward to your replies

freelander

Old 15th June 2011, 22:02

Hi Freelander, March is the best location and either the station, or Norwood Road bridge, where freight enter/depart Whitemoor Yard. Mainly Class 66's here, but not so frequent as I would like to see them.
Old 16th June 2011, 19:27

Ely

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelander View Post
Hi all , due to visit Ely and March in July wondering what freight use these lines, how often and what loco's can i expect to see. was thinking of going onto the stations or can you offer better locations, no problem with transport.
look forward to your replies

freelander
I was at Ely and March last week, Ely was busy with various freight workings, there is a station porter who is an enthusiast and knows all what is going on, and he will share his information. March station, (Thurs) I was there for about 2 hours and saw 2 class 66s and a DRS 47 light, there was a class 66 on depot as well.
Old 17th June 2011, 01:19

While the railway no longer have Porters as such, I know some of the staff at Ely, and even though they are very helpful to the Enthusiast, I have found March to be able to observe more freight loco's, because of them entering and/or departing Whitemoor Yard then heading towards Peterborough.