20:11

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Getting ready-Diesel.

Old 28th August 2009, 19:12

Getting ready-Diesel.

How long is the "proceedure" for getting underway from cold on a diesel loco ?

Is it just a case of starting the engine ?

Since joining this forum I have "warmed" a little to diesel locos !

Old 28th August 2009, 20:59

I reckon that depends on whether the diesel is a modern state of the art job which will start at the flick of a switch or your old worn-out and much loved preservation type which require many prayers and all fingers and toes crossed. I know a class 47 that is being very temperamental at the moment!!
Old 28th August 2009, 22:19
Station Manager

Most of ours at Wirksworth take about half an hour by the time you have done all the checks and built up air pressure or vac.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 29th August 2009, 09:07

Depends on the class of Loco.

If memory serves me correctly we get,

20mins to prep a class 37,47,56,60 or the older type loco's and 15mins for the newer types like the 59,66 and the 67.

A prep basically consists of a walk round to ensure no 'NOT TO GO BOARDS' are attached to the vehicle,scotches underneath anything hanging off etc. Then its up onto the loco checking each cab for track circuit clips,fire extinguishers,dets also checking the MCBs etc then a check of the engine room for oil, coolant etc obvious leaks to the system then its into the leading cab to start the loco.Once started its a case of outside to check all the lights are working,listening for air leaks and a final check outside. I then personally go back into the non working cab check the NRN radio,desk lights
and again through the engine room checking for leaks when the system is under pressure. Meanwhile the air system is building up to operating pressure and you can then check that the brakes are operating and the whistle,windsceen wipers etc. Then hopefully we can get on our merry way signallers dependant.

I must stress that this is a quick run through of a loco prep and different loco have different needs so to speak and some take longer than others to get ready.

Les
Old 29th August 2009, 22:50

Thanks gents for that insight.

I spent an hour (or two ) on You tube watching (and listening) to many and various diesel locos starting up (or trying to ).

If a car,lorry or bus made that much "clag" it would be removed from the highway pronto !

Last edited by pre65; 29th August 2009 at 22:53.