18:37

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

New Hornby 2P 4-4-0s

Old 6th February 2012, 20:40
Station Manager

New Hornby 2P 4-4-0s

Bought one of the reworked Hornby 2Ps at Stafford in S&DJR Livery. I have one of the old tender drive models also in the S&DJR Livery and attach a few photos of both locos for comparison. The biggest improvement is the tender without the motor which allows light through the frames and the wheels are better. The loco drive mechanism is much, much better. Very quiet compared with the old tender drive which sounds like a bag of nails. The loco itself is much the same as the photos show.

At £99 RRP I think the loco is grossly overpriced. I paid £80 which I still think a bit steep. It doesn't even have sprung buffers. I think it should be included in the Railroad Range with a RRP about £20 less.

I really only got the new version for the mechanism and to have it S&DJR Livery. Will probably sell the older tender drive version.

Don't think I will replace my Tender Drive 4F.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2067576rf.jpg (93.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg P2067577rf.jpg (83.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg P2067580rf.jpg (99.9 KB, 31 views)

Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 7th February 2012, 19:20

I posted a week or two about the cost of Hornby ""They need to find a way to reduce the cost of models. My work friends purchased me a Brit for my 60th it cost best part of £100. In these hard times only the rich could but them as presents for kids
I have a Brighton unit in its box marked 42 shillings I dont know how that relates to now but I could not have been that much as my parents purchased it for Xmas ""
After seeing Johns post I looked up Hornby on the interweb, the prices are madness the catologue is £8.50 at 2/6p that would be many weeks pocket money.you need to be a banker not a kid to play trains now
What happened to Lima a good cheaper alturnative I have had lima cl20 western and worship for many years and they work very well
Old 6th April 2012, 16:05

Way back in the day I recall Hornbys 4,6,2 loco.s for £6 new and wren new for £12 in my local model shop but that was in the early 1970s though, when I was 14 I washed cars at 50p a time to save up the £11 needed to buy a new Mamod traction engine

Last edited by steamdream; 6th April 2012 at 16:07.
Old 6th April 2012, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamdream View Post
Way back in the day I recall Hornbys 4,6,2 loco.s for £6 new and wren new for £12 in my local model shop but that was in the early 1970s though, when I was 14 I washed cars at 50p a time to save up the £11 needed to buy a new Mamod traction engine

As a kid I remember we got a Triang Hiawatha which cost Mum 17/6p before discount
Err this was the 60's mind and Mum always got us the latest models as she worked in a Toy shop that sold everything Triang

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 6th April 2012, 18:29
Station Manager

Now that Bachmann have announced the Midland 4F I am please I was not tempted to buy the Hornby Loco drive 4F. The Bachmann will be a completely new model, no doubt to the same standard as their 3F with an RRP of £89.75 whereas Hornby are now asking over £100 for their revamped Airfix vesion!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.