21:43

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Pointwork 00 gauge

Old 2nd March 2008, 09:49

Pointwork 00 gauge

Wondered if any 00 model rail engineers out there construct their pointwork from scratch ie designing, filing rail for making frogs, blades etc.
I have done this for years and still enjoy experimenting with new ideas and tecniques. 100 code rail (ex Peco flexible track) soldered to copper clad sleepers were my normal preferred essentials but have successfully used wooden sleepers and found that the best material for these was the stuff they sell in our local "cook shop" for making iced lollies. ( good grief!!) Perfect for the job, hardwood, exactly the same thickness as the Peco sleepers and two sleeper widths can be cut from one lenghth. I have used a variety of adhesives of the contact type for bonding rail to sleeper and most work up to a point ( pun intended ! ) but the best of all is the quick curing Araldite.
I would be interested to hear views from anyone on this topic .
Alex10

Old 2nd March 2008, 10:30

I do remember building some pointwork with reasonable success when I was in my teens. Since then all my modelling has been in N Gauge and although custom made pointwork would have been handy on some of my layouts, I have neither the skills (or now, the eyesight) to make it.
Old 2nd March 2008, 10:48
Station Manager

Having come into 'OO' modeling late in life, like John, I too have a problem with eye sight. I modeled in 'N' gauge as you can see from my photos in the gallery, until last year when I started to have a sight problem and changed to 'OO'. I also do not have the skill to make my own points. I tried to build a kit wagon but it was a total No No. So I now stick to RTR and just enjoy running the trains and building town and country scenes. I also moved to DCC to cut down on the wiring and soldering
Old 4th March 2008, 10:47

Pointwork

Hi John and Syd, Thank you both for your replies to my note about home made points. The cutting ,filing and positioning of rails can indeed be a cause of severe eye strain and I must say that I have wondered if it is worth it. That is in 00 gauge...I have never attempted N Gauge.

Alex