11:15

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hello all!

Old 2nd August 2011, 22:23

Question Hello all!

Hello,

I am a new member and am looking for some railway related help!

I'm currently researching my family history and tales of my great great grandfather who worked for the North Eastern Railway.

I know that he was working as a Goods Guard in 1881 (age 28) and that he lived in Middlesbrough but don't really know much else. I'd like to find out what his job entailed and what his standing would have been in the company (was Goods Guard a low, mid, high level position?). Also I'd like to try and find out where he may of worked in Middlesbrough, were there any specific places that a Goods Guard would have worked?

If anyone could help me I would be most grateful! I'm trying to substantiate a long told family story that my great great grandfather was the person that came up with the idea of the curled metal end on a shunters pole! I know the dates tally with the introduction of the tool (a recent trip to the NRM confirmed this) but would love to prove this.

Many thanks

David

Old 3rd August 2011, 20:56

Hello David and welcome to the forum. I can not offer any help with you question however I am sure you have come to the right place to find out as everyone is very helpfull here. Good luck with you search
Regards
Phil
Old 6th August 2011, 21:41

Thankyou! Hopefully someone can help me!