00:43

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

New age of payment technologies - UK transport

Old 10th April 2015, 05:26

New age of payment technologies - UK transport

It is true that the contactless bankcard system was extended in 2014 to cover London's entire transit network, including Tube, rail, bus and tram services.The success of the contactless payment project in London is best represented by the 500,000 contactless journeys made every weekday.
Source:

Old 11th April 2015, 12:46

Crooks must think that all their Christmases have come at once! Stand on any street corner with a card reading machine set to skim £1 off every unshielded card that passes and you can book your next cruise within a few hours.
Old 12th April 2015, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilymainzer View Post
The success of the contactless payment project in London is best represented by the 500,000 contactless journeys made every weekday.
Well it's succesful purely because TfL and the moneymen made all other methods of paying for your journey significantly more expensive than Oyster.

To my eyes this isn't success - people haven't chosen it because it's better, they've been bullied into it.

We're beeing told that contactless is so much better. Well it's better for the retailer and banks because they get more transaction per hour, which means even more money for them.

Tony - I completely agree. I told my bank I didn't want a contactless card. But when they renewed my card they said I had no option. So I take it everywhere in a little screened container and refuse to do contactless payments in shops.
Old 12th April 2015, 19:20
Station Manager

I also told my bank that I did not want a contactless card and was told I had no option. I just said "Fine, I will withdraw all my money, cancel my insurance with you, and open an account with the building society across the road".
Funny how they found that I could have a non contact card which is valid till 2019