02:26

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Upminster security guards stop enthusiast from filming.

Old 1st September 2009, 20:21
Registered Member

Upminster security guards stop enthusiast from filming.

LondonRailEnthusiast] youtube video - Upminster security guards stop enthusiast from filming.

It seems that on Friday evening a 'security guard' tried to stop an enthusiast from filming Sarah Siddens as she passed through the station. I assume that this was done for 'security' reasons.

But thankfully the enthusiast kept the camera rolling and has now made this footage public, on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbpk9dm8dLo

Old 3rd September 2009, 20:49

I hope this film is brought to the attention of London Transport and TfL as soon as possible, there are at least two heads that should roll.
Old 3rd September 2009, 21:18

Well done for the guy who managed to film that. Those people should be ashamd. Of course, makes you wonder if they would have taken on a group of drunks or hoodies, probrably not, just picked on decent people instead

Last edited by martin adamson; 3rd September 2009 at 21:21.
Old 4th September 2009, 20:41
Registered Member

Well as far as I understand it and I AM NOT a "barrack room lawyer", but I was only reading a similiar case earlier today.

NO ONE EVEN A POLICE OFFICER, CAN STOP A PERSON FILMING OR TAKING PHOTOS IN A PUBLIC PLACE AND THEY CANNOT TAKE FILM OR EQUIPMENT.

I think you will find that is correct, it came straight from the Metropolitan Police.

Old 4th September 2009, 22:21

I would have asked to see it all in writing as to where we can't use a camera on a station, when they are filming US without OUR permission and getting away with it.

It should work both ways.
Old 21st October 2009, 13:59

Smile Response from 10 Downing Street

This is the response from 10 Downing Street dated 21.10.2009 concerning an epetition about railway enthusiast on stations.

Network Rail, the British Transport Police and some train operators have policies in place that recognise the security benefits that the presence of enthusiasts can bring to the railway. The Government also recognises this and agrees that extra security at stations should not prevent enthusiasts from pursuing their legitimate interests. Enthusiasts are asked to make their presence known to station staff so as to avoid the sort of confrontation described in the petition.

Railway enthusiasts are subject to the same rules as anyone else using the railway and so must not, for example, trespass on parts of the railway that are not open to the general public.

However, there may be occasions when staff seek to remove enthusiasts. Where there are good reasons for this, for example when there is a particular security threat, the staff concerned should be ready and able to explain the reasons. Otherwise, Network Rail and the British Transport Police provide a summary of their relevant policies on their website and recommend that enthusiasts take a copy to show staff should they be challenged.
Old 21st October 2009, 23:35

This has gone way beyond a joke now and needs clarifying once and for all. Just look in any Railway Magazine on the paper stands today and where long distance shots are got, some from the roadside, bridges, wherever, yet NOBODY gets told they can't take them from these places, but on a station, we are treated like Terrorists.
Old 23rd October 2009, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48111 View Post
Well as far as I understand it and I AM NOT a "barrack room lawyer", but I was only reading a similiar case earlier today.

NO ONE EVEN A POLICE OFFICER, CAN STOP A PERSON FILMING OR TAKING PHOTOS IN A PUBLIC PLACE AND THEY CANNOT TAKE FILM OR EQUIPMENT.

I think you will find that is correct, it came straight from the Metropolitan Police.

It all goes out the window the second they decide to call you a suspected terrorist, they can do almost anything they want at that point.
Old 24th October 2009, 09:36

I hope the guy has sent some of this evidence to london transport or boris .talk about jobsworth these officials no nothing about their own employment well out of order. well done for getting it filmed.
Old 24th October 2009, 21:10

Look at it this way.
This a pplies to airports as well.
A terrorist when you think about it is not going to waste time in a place where he is going to be caught is he?
I read an article the other day about airports stating that at the Norfolk RAF bases no less, aviation enthusiasts are WELCOMED by personel to look out for the abnormal.
If the military use transport enthusiasts then it proves it, we are the governments greatest weapon against terrorism, we know what is normal and what is not.