View Single Post
Old 10th June 2008, 22:28

Hehe, thanks for the welcome Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil8471 View Post
Hi Danny

You're not the only one doing research into Pendlebury Station I am fascinated by the fact that there used to be a station there as I am local also and did you know there was a station at Irlams O' th' Height also that was at the bottom of bank lane. I have some press cuttings from Salford library of when they both closed also some pictures of Pendlebury station one from the front page of the journal from 1960 it's not that clear but you can see it it just looks very similar to Swinton. I also have a couple from books one from 1897 and one from 1961 which was a year after it closed but it's a train going past on the fast lines which are no longer there. The press cuttings are about a man whose hobby was to be the last person to buy a ticket at the station, they are good. I could scan them to you?
If you follow this link this is an aerial view of Pendlebury from 1930 in the top right hand corner you can see the station and the bridge going over to it etc

http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/....php?irn=55923

Regards

Neil
That ariel photo is really interesting, now I know basically how people got down to the station, it's always been something that was at the back of my mind.

It's also really cool to think that all used to be right outside my front door, I really wish it was still like that now. I'm not sure pacers have much use for the "fast lines" that used to exist there.

I think I had heard there was a station at Irlams o'th Height but that seems even more crazy than the Pendlebury one.

I had a vague idea that the Pendlebury station was of a similar design and construction to Swinton as the wall that remains right outside is of the same brickwork that Swinton is built from, and looks right out of place merged into the black wall.

It's right behind the bus stop under the trees, over the road from St. Augustines, incase you hadn't been aware it was still there (but I'm sure you where)

Any scans of photos would be very very appreciated should it not be too much trouble!