View Single Post
Old 1st January 2009, 21:03
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
Adey’s recent post has helped me decide when my interest in railways started.

Instead of simply being a means of visiting relatives our regular train trips to Manchester took on a new meaning. Perhaps I shouldn’t say this but the journey became more exciting than actually visiting my Aunts and Uncles. Manchester was only 40 miles away but for a young lad with a newly found interest in trains it was a different World. I will always remember catching a brief glimpse of a Jubilee leaving Manchester Victoria with a train of carriages some of which had destination boards carrying the inscription London – Cologne. I had read about train ferries and was convinced that I had seen my first International train conveniently ignoring the fact that I was in the middle of Lancashire miles away from any North Sea port. It was a real disappointment when I eventually discovered that the destination boards actually read London - Colne.
Thanks for that John.

Visits to friends and relatives were always by train before we got a car in 1965, a chance to visit other areas and make unusual "cops". One of our regular trips from Birmingham was to see the Great Aunts in Newark, via Derby. Near always good for about half an hour on Derby Station, where we had to change.

Best wishes for 2009.

John H-T.