View Single Post
Old 11th August 2017, 22:50

Full steam service now resumed!

As of tomorrow (Saturday 12th August) the Swanage Railway will be resuming it's full steam service (2 train running).
Ex-SR U class No.31806 officially returned to traffic on Wednesday (August 9th) & will be joined tomorrow & Sunday by ex-LSWR M7 No.30053 which is currently only operating on selected days. After that, 31806 should be joined by the NRM's ex-LSWR T9 class No.30120 which has been brought in from the Bodmin & Wenford Railway as cover for the loss of 80104 & 'Manston'.
30120 had arrived at Swanage on July 28th but was known to need a retube before entering service, which should be complete by this weekend. According to the latest Steam Railway magazine, the T9 is reported to be staying at Swanage 'for the foreseeable future'.
I visited the railway last Monday with 30053 running along with class 33 No.D6515 'Lt. Jenny Lewis R.N.' and I also saw the retube of 30120 in progress at Swanage. 31806 was also at Swanage, looking in superb ex-works condition.
The 2 locos involved in the shunting collision were also at Swanage - 'Manston' was in one of the sidings just outside the station and the damage to the front of the loco was quite apparent with the front part of the frames just behind the bufferbeam particularly bent; 80104 was in one of the loco preparation sidings near the goods shed and had had it's front Pony Truck removed, but the front of the loco was not visible (shielded from view by the class 108 DMU) it was not possible to see what damage this loco had sustained. There are photos attached - for the photo of 'Manston' I have added an inset enlargement of the damaged area, showing the bent frames & buffers.

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80104 at Swanage. 7.8.17.jpg (101.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Manston at Swanage. 7.8.17.jpg (157.7 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by TRP; 11th August 2017 at 23:10.