View Single Post
Old 13th April 2010, 21:43

Whilst at work I once worked a 142 on the Cumbrian coast line and after coming off the brows at Parton, I found the rear doors flapping on the breeze, consquently this was reported to Control on arrival at Whitehaven, and the reply given was that this was impossible owing to interlock with the drivers controls, unable to take power or release the brakes, and I assured him that we had travelled some 3 miles with the driver both taking power and braking, impossible was the reply anyway close the door and lock it out of use, that sounds reasonable I replied but if it can happen to that door what about the others, Just stay inside the train and keep checking, this I refused to do as we had a party of Schoolchildren onboard and I absolutely refused to go any further.
Eventually they split a north bound train so I was able to continue. It eventually transpired that this unit had been reported before and no action had been taken, however this time it was taken out of service and eventually a full electrical circuit had to be replaced, at great cost although no action was ever taken against myself or the driver.