View Single Post
Old 27th February 2009, 20:08

Hello Folks,

Many thanks for that info, it seems a shame that the place was set up in a blaze of publicity only to be seemingly abandoned (at least from rail, the road distribution site appears to be functioning) so quickly. I suspect there was an Objective One subsidy which may now have run out.

One point for optimism is that Merseytravel are looking to upgrade the line with electrification to Wigan; interestingly Merseytravel boss Neil Scales is quoted as saying that new Merseyrail electrification should be 25Kv, not third rail.

This makes sense if a big national electrification program starts, as mooted by Lord Adonis. Merseyrail's 507s and 508s should in theory be easy to upgrade to 313 (Class 507/3?), but in any case are due for replacement relatively soon. My guess is dual-voltage Class 350s, which I understand can be provided in a loading guage suitable for the Liverpool Loop.

This all has a relevance for freight, since being able to access Knowsley from the WCML with 25Kv opens up pathing possibilities not presently available; it might serve as a relief for other Merseyside freight, especially since the re-opening of the Olive Mount Chord is expected to boost Merseyside rail freight.

We'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime many thanks for your observations.

Take care all,

DeeMersey.