View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2019, 11:04

Hi Steve.

Interesting report about the failure to upload Temporary Speed Restriction data to the 'Big Brother' computer running the ETCS part of ERTMS.

I've always said this was In-Cab signalling's Achille's Heel.

The old chestnut where the designers "thought that it was someone else's job to check that bit". (Reminds me of the Ladbroke Grove collision where the track layout designer did not include Flank Protection, because he believed that all trains would be running under Automatic Train Protection, which the Government had talked about but never intended to pay for). But I digress.

ETCS is TOTALLY reliant on all speed data being correctly presented into the driver's cab display. We already know that in future, Route Learning will be shrunk if not completely removed from driver training. This is purely to shorten the length of the training course, and relax the entrant skills requirement for the job, thus making it open to more applicants - which in turn will push wages down. Understandable, but de-skilling increases the risks.

I can foresee a high speed derailment in the future, where a driver is asked afterwards why he didn't respond to the hazard ahead. "Because I just keep below the Guide speed on the panel - there's no point in looking out of the window" might be the reply!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I'm glad I shall have retired before this system comes in. I'm sure they'll get it working eventually, but I feel it will be a difficult birth.

Cheers, BW.