View Single Post
Old 21st December 2009, 11:50

I would vote for a 00 gauge 71000 too (although I could never justify running it on my layout for authenticity!) and also a BR Standard 2-6-0 (3MT). I must admit that the variety of model railway rolling stock available now in the RTR domain is really good but sometimes a manufacturer will come up with a real "workhorse" rather than a glamorous loco and Bachmann did this with the Maunsell N Class 2-6-0. I have just managed to obtain one on a certain internet auction site and early indications are that it is a beauty. The Ns and Us worked from Andover to Cheltenham regularly form the very early 50s until "my" line closed in 1961-62 so I was itching to get one. (OK so I bought my own Christmas present!) However, there are a number of other items that would be nice; for the S&D fans a 2-8-0 7F is long overdue in RTR and, as a GWR fan, I'd love to see some Hawksworth-designed coaches as these were late in the GWR's history and survived in BR ownership for some time afterwards. Also, some "proper" 4 and 6 wheeled GWR RTR coaching stock would be nice as would a 2-4-0T Metro Tank to pull them. Lastly, although not my area, a RTR Caledonian 4-6-0 "Cardean" would be excellent as I believe that this was one of the most aesthetically pleasing 4-6-0s ever built and it wasn't even green! I can't really speak for N gauge as I don't model it but it seems to be getting better all the time from the layouts I've seen recently.