Thread: Up north.
View Single Post
Old 13th December 2010, 19:16

Up north.

Northern rail as a TOC has become much better over the last few months, but now the DFT is set to ruin it. We need extra trains more than anyone else, but instead of gaining the much needed stock, it is set to lose what it has.

It is losing all 180s and 4 class 156s.
We will no longer get the 319 EMUs until 2018. For some reason, First great western and East midlands have managed to wriggle themselves into getting more trains that we are getting by the hundreds. Is this fair for the place where overcrowding is the worst in the UK (Leeds and Manchester)?

Honestly, stuff them. Why, why are they doing this, ripping the heart out of the north in such a way. Is the DFT completely stupid or what? I'm getting pretty red in the face about this because there is nothing that makes the population of the north deserve any less than those living in the south. Is there something that makes us inferior?
FGW are giving us 7 pacers, but seeing as all pacers must be withdrawn by 2019 this will leave us with just a few 150s. Many lines operated by Northern will have no service at all, despite what the Government states, there will be nothing to operate them.

Now I don't wish to offend those who are served by the better off TOCs such as FGW or EMT, but it isn't fair. The DFT have not thought this through at all I'm sorry to say.

This is how I envisage the future system as is:

The NYMR operating all Esk valley line services by necessity.
Lighter branch lines will have all services withdrawn to aid more central cervices.

Many lines run with a much reduced service, casuing overcrowding to crush-to-death levels, such as mId chehsire, Buxton Line, Southport etc.
It is times like this that I think that there is no use having a railway at all.
FGW has the ability to operate loco hauled trains to ease their (small) problems, but Northern is denied of such a right.

We could, if we were allowed bring in any MK2s and Mk3s lying around and any class 47s and class 37s that are left, bringing them back from the scrap pile if required, and that would solve a huge problem, but nooooooooo.
That's too good for us isn't it.

And.... breathe. That sounding a little bit crazy to you? Well its just how it is.
Next election I'm voting for the monster raving loonies.