View Single Post
Old 1st January 2012, 22:13

I think we always remember first times best of all. I went across there on a number of occasions in the late 50s. Never previously trainspotted further than Newcastle as I recall. My first recollection is lunch at the top of the driveway down to Kingmoor shed and seeing a couple of southbounds hauled by 45655 and 46220 (probably on the Royal Scot). Out of the plethora of locos on 12A only my first ever Britannia, Firth of Tay, rings a bell today. Similarly at 12C it was Flamingo at the back of the shed under repair that is my only recollection, and at 12B it was 45501 St Dunstans.

I think I only ever travelled out of Carlisle to anywhere other than Newcastle on 1 occasion. We had a Freedom of Scotland ticket and we had a mid-afternoon choice of Dornoch Firth via the GSWR, or City of Sheffield via the Caley to get us to Glasgow. We opted for the latter.

Station announcements were very frequent and there were 3 destinations which I recall vividly. No, not Glasgow Central, Crewe, or London Euston, but rather Oxenholme, Aspatria, and Carstairs. I don't think I'd ever heard of these places before visiting the Citadel.