Thread: "Tram-train"
View Single Post
Old 21st December 2008, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
I think there's a bit of confusion creeping into this thread.
The Tram-Trains that gros-beta refers to are trains that regularly run on mainlines together with other heavy rail traffic but can also switch to street running when required. This often involves being able to operate off different supply voltages such as 25kV on the mainline and 750V in urban areas.
If you allow me, I will bring some more information : the "tram-train" as it is understood in France is much more looking like a tram than like a train. It is designed for a street use, meaning extra-low platforms or no platform at all, mirrors and all the necessary signals to circulate in streets, and usually narrow dimensions although using a standard track. It has some extra train features (as you mention 25 kV capability, or 15 kV in Germany) and structure strengthenings which are compulsory as soon as the vehicle circulates on standard railway lines.

"Gros-Beta" mentionned Sarrebourg as an example: the tram-train there goes in the city-centre on tram lines, in the streets, and then uses a long suburban railway line (as far as in Germany If I remember correctly).

As far as I know, the Croydon tramlink uses some ancient raiway lines, but they are now totally dedicated to the tram, and there is no penetration of a tram in the railway domain.