Thread: Fawley Refinery
View Single Post
Old 30th November 2009, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeyhead View Post
Hi, couple of questions for anyone on here with recent knowledge of operations at Fawley refinery.
Firstly there was/is a line into the refinery itself and a small network of lines within the complex. Is this still in use? Is it still accessible? There is an aerial photo pn Google Earth which shows a rake of what looks like LPG tanks stored on the access line which suggests no regular usage
Secondly there used to be large numbers of wagons of various sorts stored in extensive holding sidings but when I flew over the site recently these appeared to be more or less empty. Is the site being run down?
FInally how many workings remain to/from Fawley? I beliive there is a regular bitumen train out and a crude working in from Alton. Is there much else now?
Many thanks!
The Fawley branch is still in use, but with less traffic than previous years due to flows either finishing completely (such as the 6M23 Fawley - Longport LPG train, which went in around 1993) or starting/finishing elsewhere. The LPG tanks were in the process of being cut up last time I was there (3 yrs!) so may well have gone now. The bitumin (Bromford tanks) has recently finished, so its mainly the three times weekly Holybourne tanks (crude oil for refining) and the fuel oil train which runs I think twice a week for Bristol St Phillips Marsh, and the West Country.

In the yard itself DB have been storing wagons & coaching stock there, but much of it is now unused and falling into disrepair. Of interest, the original station platform is still there (I used to use it sometimes for changing ends) complete with 'Fawley' cast concrete signage. Anything unboltable and light enough to move however has already been nicked. Esso have their own shunting locos there, the usual one in use being called 'Bluebird'.