View Single Post
Old 7th April 2016, 16:03

It suddenly seems like a long time since I started this thread. I guess life has been busy. I apologize for not keeping up with the conversation. There are so many BBS opportunities that I became lost. Around about the time I asked about the SMRE I started an interest in Hornby Live Steam, which continues. This branch of the hobby is ably supported by the OOLiveSteam Club, which has a good web site for discussion of this topic. These locomotives continue to go up in the price on ebay, so it is a bit of investment to start playing with it these days. At the time I bought most of these locos, about 2010, the prices were reasonable, or even discounted on the RRP.
My layout is still nascent, although I have recently retired and can start moving things along.
It looks like many of you were contemporaries of mine at the SMRE, although I moved on before the end of the 1960s, most of the characters I knew are mentioned by you all. I heard from Eric Burdette's son Steve in recent times. He is continuing his Railway Modelling. His father passed away a number of years ago (2002). I particularly remember Steve because he was a classmate of mine at Rowlinson Technical School. We both remember the SMRE at Cutler's Hall where we worked on the exhibitions. He also exhibits at Model Railway Shows with an LMS engine shed. Another name is Mike Carline, who was also my contemporary in the 1960s, and who was at the SMRE show in 2009 according to Steve.