View Single Post
Old 4th September 2010, 23:46

well said dbtc,northern do run a good service,in the days of north western trains-i finished work and was waiting for a train at swinton for the last train to manchester,i waited for an hour in bitterly cold weather and nothing showed up,even the lights were turned off on the station,then came in the last train to wigan from manchester[delayed],i asked the guard[cant quite get used to saying conductor]what happened to my train, and when will it turn up,he said the only way i would get to manchester was get on his train to wigan and then come back again,this must be a record?i was there at 22.40,and was still there at 23.40 when the train pulled in from the opposite direction,if i would of boarded the train to wigan[30 mins]then wait for the turn back?then 47 minutes back to manchester and then miss the last tram from vic to crumpsall,i got a taxi in the end and sent a receipt and my ticket to north western trains,they sent me a fiver-wow wee,it cost me a tenner in the taxi,now northern are the operater,things have improved,they are installing passenger help points on some stations on the line-as well as a tannoy system that will tell you if your train will turn up..or not,at the end of a hard days work you just want to get home..northern arent the best but are a far better operater than the ones who tried to run trains in the area mentioned,br,regional railways,north western trains,first north western trains,its much more reliable now northern run the trains.