View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2017, 03:25

Yes, forgetting or not knowing where you are can have dire consequences.
The QR narrow gauge Tilt Train capable of a maximum speed of 160 kph went bush in 2004.
Sitting on a track speed of 120 kph, it suddenly encountered a 60 kph curve.
ATP is featured on most of the QR north coast route, but I don't think that it extends the entire route.
Subsequently, an initial knee-jerk reaction imposed a maximum speed limit for the train of 100 kph.
But, today, the train is again permitted to do the 160 kph where authorized.
Time heals all wounds.
Air temperature can also impose speed restrictions, which is common to the entire Aussie rail network.
When temperatures exceed 38C, train speeds must be reduce due to potentially buckled rails.
Continuous weld rail might be economic, but can become spaghetti in extreme heat.
The QR do now utilize Speed Warning signs which indicate the reduced track speed encountered ahead.
These boards are utilized in addition to normal Track Speed boards which dictate each maximum section speed.
The Speed Warning sign placed on approach to a significantly reduced Track Speed board.
But, I doubt that any audible warning is associated with the boards.
The DB PZB system does factor in track speeds which are reduced to that being traversed.
Yes, ETCS and ATC can be elaborate enough to impose stringent operational checks.
But, if such a system becomes relied upon by train crew, what of the inevitable day of a system failure.
Road knowledge is still a vital facet of driver training.
Though, I don't think that I would impose the Japanese acknowledgement system.
Each and every signal, speed board and station stop must be saluted by the driver in acknowledgement.
Yes, here in NSW we were required to call the signals.
But, most old hand drivers told you to shut up and go to sleep and stop annoying them.
Ah, the good ole days.
Steve.