View Single Post
Old 20th December 2017, 19:12

SEATTLE TRAIN CRASH IN DUPONT WASHINGTON

The track the AMTRAK southbound train was running on transitions from FRA class 4 track (80mph) to some crappy FRA class 2 track (30mph) just before the curve and bridge. There is no sign and there is no signal so the train orders would reference a milepost for the "slow orders" which would have been highlighted in red. These orders would have been reviewed by the engineer and the conductor; each would have their own copy.
The engineer should be reading mileposts well in advance to look for the point where the speed reduction would occur. The satellite images I have linked clearly show the crappy nature of the FRA class 2 track. My opinion is that there should be much better warning for such a drastic reduction in the quality of the track ahead such as signage or a signal.

BTW the track I was running a diesel on a couple of weeks ago between Bolder and Railroad Pass is FRA class 3 (60mph) and has two curves of about the same radius as the on at the AMTRAK crash site. When I ran a steam locomotive on the FRA class 1 track (10mph fright {me} and 15mph passengers) between Ely Nevada and Keystone I reviewed the the train orders with the dispatcher and the conductor. The Nevada Northern has three branches and the possibility of more than one train entering the yard; hence the need for train orders.
Many FRA class 4 tracks have similar curves but employ superelevation where the outer rail is raised higher than the inner rail is the same way a racetrack has banked turns. Since knowing the track is so important, I really wonder whether the engineer and conductor had done a dry run on the tracks together. Here is a link to the satellite view of the track:

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.0826.../data=!3m1!1e3